SSD Caddy for Lenovo G505S

Patrick82

Hi.  New member here looking for help.

I have a Lenovo G505S and I'm looking for a SSD caddy.  Looking around Newegg and the web, it looks like there are some caddies made for specific computers.  Then there are generic 9.5mm caddies but after seeing others made for specific models, I don't know if these generic caddies will fit my machine.

I know it's not a top of the line laptop but I think an SSD would be a good improvement.  I plan on running a stripped down version of Linux for some fast boot times.

Thanks!

What I'm looking to do is replace the DVD drive with a SSD.  I'll run two hard drives.  The SSD will be my boot & root.  My 1tb mechanical drive will be my home, swap, and tmp partitions.

Thank you for the reply.  Here is where things get tricky.

I search Amazon for "hard drive caddy 9.5mm" and this is the first one that comes up:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Caddy-Universal-DVD-ROM-Optical/dp/B008XV800U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571660&sr=8-1&keywords=%22hard+drive+caddy+9.5mm%22

I scroll down and it says:

*Compatible with all universal laptops models except DELL HP IBM APPLE MSI.

And that's what worries me.  The IBM part.  Lenovo bought out IBM's personal computer section.  I don't know if the G505S is considered an IBM design.  See what I'm getting at?

Thank you for the reply.  Here is where things get tricky.

I search Amazon for "hard drive caddy 9.5mm" and this is the first one that comes up:

http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Caddy-Universal-DVD-ROM-Optical/dp/B008XV800U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388571660&sr=8-1&keywords=%22hard+drive+caddy+9.5mm%22

I scroll down and it says:

And that's what worries me.  The IBM part.  Lenovo bought out IBM's personal computer section.  I don't know if the G505S is considered an IBM design.  See what I'm getting at?

I see what you are getting at, but it is not an issue. Most IBM model Thinkpads had a IBM specific connector on the optical bay (as did most laptops in the Core 2 and before days), meaning that you needed a model specific caddy. Most of the newer ones have an industry standard micro SATA connector, and thus work with any caddy that fits.

Spoiler

Desktop <dead?> 

Spoiler

P8P67-WS/Z77 Extreme4/H61DE-S3. 4x4 Samsung 1600MHz/1x8GB Gskill 1866MHzC9. 750W OCZ ZT/750w Corsair CX. GTX480/Sapphire HD7950 1.05GHz (OC). Adata SP600 256GB x2/SSG 830 128GB/1TB Hatachi Deskstar/3TB Seagate. Windows XP/7Pro, Windows 10 on Test drive. FreeBSD and Fedora on liveboot USB3 drives. 

Spoiler

Laptop <Works Beyond Spec>

Spoiler

HP-DM3. Pentium U5400. 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz (Samsung iirc). Intel HD. 512GB SSD. 8TB USB drive (Western Digital). Coil Wine!!!!!! (Is that a spec?). 

I ordered one and a SSD.  Thanks for all of your help.