Creating a DHCP server, with a twist, need help

Helly
Go to solution Solved by Mikensan,

Oke doke so honestly you don't need static routes on "SERVER" because as soon as you set the IP addresses of the NICs the routes for /24 were added automatically. So go ahead and remove the static routes (sorry).

On your client PC's secondary nic with 10.10.2.2 - should have the gateway on that NIC set to 10.10.2.1 and you need to add a static route:

Route ADD 10.10.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.2.1 1

Opposite is true on your spoke/lonely server:

Route ADD 10.10.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.1.1

One thing also, disable the windows firewall on all 3 to remove any potential headaches.

**Correction, on your spoke/lonely server, since it only has 1 connection you don't need to add a route. Since you define a gateway in the IPv4 settings it will consider that the default route.

13 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Oke doke so honestly you don't need static routes on "SERVER" because as soon as you set the IP addresses of the NICs the routes for /24 were added automatically. So go ahead and remove the static routes (sorry).

On your client PC's secondary nic with 10.10.2.2 - should have the gateway on that NIC set to 10.10.2.1 and you need to add a static route:

Route ADD 10.10.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.2.1 1

Opposite is true on your spoke/lonely server:

Route ADD 10.10.2.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.10.1.1

One thing also, disable the windows firewall on all 3 to remove any potential headaches.

**Correction, on your spoke/lonely server, since it only has 1 connection you don't need to add a route. Since you define a gateway in the IPv4 settings it will consider that the default route.

Holy crap, you're my hero lol. That made it work.

I did have to add the route to the 2nd server as well though as it is not a lonely server. It also has a separate connection to the internet. But they can now all access the files from any of the systems. So its all working :D

Thank you all so much for the help!

PS. does this mean i don't need RRAS on the server at all? So i can delete it? Will try it anyway, but would be nice to know before i do that

I have no signature

3 minutes ago, Helly said:

Holy crap, you're my hero lol. That made it work.

I did have to add the route to the 2nd server as well though as it is not a lonely server. It also has a separate connection to the internet. But they can now all access the files from any of the systems. So its all working :D

Thank you all so much for the help!

PS. does this mean i don't need RRAS on the server at all? So i can delete it? Will try it anyway, but would be nice to know before i do that

Can't hurt to try, but I believe it is needed.

You also want to make sure you do a route print, make sure 0.0.0.0 on your client pc, and spoke server are the 1gb cards. Technically because the hub server could route internet traffic too. Look over your metrics, see if they all make sense. Can't hurt to tracert 8.8.8.8 to verify the path it is taking.

lol I thought your other server may not be a lonely spoke, so I just did a strike-though "just in case" lol. Thought I had read somewhere in the thread one of them were isolated, couldn't remember which.

1 hour ago, Helly said:

Without the RRAS role or using PowerShell to allow packet forwarding Windows will not route packets, Linux won't without telling it to as well.

1 hour ago, Mikensan said:

You also want to make sure you do a route print, make sure 0.0.0.0 on your client pc, and spoke server are the 1gb cards. Technically because the hub server could route internet traffic too. Look over your metrics, see if they all make sense. Can't hurt to tracert 8.8.8.8 to verify the path it is taking.

You can only have 1 active default gateway so my guess is all the traffic is actually going to the server over 10Gb then going out the 1Gb to internet. On our backup servers with 4 teamed 10Gb connections and 3 VLANs we have to setup static routes on the servers and have no default gateways set on the 2 other virtual VLAN interfaces.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You can only have 1 active default gateway so my guess is all the traffic is actually going to the server over 10Gb then going out the 1Gb to internet. On our backup servers with 4 teamed 10Gb connections and 3 VLANs we have to setup static routes on the servers and have no default gateways set on the 2 other virtual VLAN interfaces.

Then I suppose it would be best to undo what I said - remove the gateway from the ipv4 setting of the 10gb cards and create the static routes leaving the gateway set on the 1gb cards. Was thinking it would be possible to have the default gateway set to a specific interface (1gb) but still defer to the other gateways for those specific subnets.

Have never been in this situation, fun exploring it lol.

4 minutes ago, Mikensan said:

Then I suppose it would be best to undo what I said - remove the gateway from the ipv4 setting of the 10gb cards and create the static routes leaving the gateway set on the 1gb cards. Was thinking it would be possible to have the default gateway set to a specific interface (1gb) but still defer to the other gateways for those specific subnets.

Have never been in this situation, fun exploring it lol.

Windows should actually warn you if you try to set more than one default gateway, it'll use the interface with the lowest metric which in this case would be the 10Gb nic.

21 hours ago, leadeater said:

You can only have 1 active default gateway so my guess is all the traffic is actually going to the server over 10Gb then going out the 1Gb to internet.

20 hours ago, Mikensan said:

Well i don't know if this was still for my situation but i pulled the internet cable from my pc with the 10Gb connection still up and i lost my internet. So i don't think this is the case for me.

I did disable the IP routing manager in RRAS on the 1Gbit connection on the server. So maybe that's what's making it not send internet over the 10Gbit now? No idea really, i'm just glad its working now :D

I have no signature