Remote desktop software

so..

annoying nitpicky issue time again..

it has recently come to my attention (by way of constant crashes) that some software i like using is no longer compatible with the latest builds of windows 10.

now, i have a system running windows 7 that i can use to avoid this issue, but that brings a problem: i need a way to remotely access it, and appareantly none of the software i know is doing a good job..

requirements:

- client side needs to be/support windowed mode

- serverside needs to run on windows 7

- audio/video sync needs to be close enough for it to not be annoying

things i've tried or at least investigated:

- RDP: besides the box running home premium (so no RDP), some things dont run trough RDP at all.

- teamviewer: good placeholder, but... sound sync is way off, in typical teamviewer fashion mouse controls are really wonky and the image quickly gets fuzzy. good for the office, not for the den.

- HP RGS: this one shows you how far i've been looking.. this is honestly perfect, except for the $600 license cost per install.. its more expensive than using a hardware "KVM to usb" / "crash cart" type solution.

- parsec: gets lots of praise all over reddit.. but cant host on windows 7, so essentially useless for me.

- steam in-home streaming: works just fine.. except one thing i want is sims 2.. which causes in-home streaming to lock up constantly, for some reason..

- nvidia gamestream: host runs an old AMD video card, no-go.

now.. i'm kind of out of ideas, i'm *actually* the level of "out of ideas" where KVM to USB and a $600 software license are on the list of options..

Anyone got more options for me to try?

I remember seeing Synergy as a LTT sponsor they do something like this i believe. 

I used the Chrome app called RemoteDesktop, just go onto the Chrome Appstore and search for it. You can access it from your phone or a computer.

important figure in mensa

Just now, Dreaper said:

I remember seeing Synergy as a LTT sponsor they do something like this i believe. 

i've considered synergy, but it requires an additional display on my desk, and while i have a (very old) installer for synergy laying around somewhere, i was displeased with the specific implementation for my (very specific) use case.

Just now, Jihakuz said:

I used the Chrome app called RemoteDesktop, just go onto the Chrome Appstore and search for it. You can access it from your phone or a computer.

performance is *literally* a slideshow, and it has about as much features as a standard dacia sandero.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it has recently come to my attention (by way of constant crashes) that some software i like using is no longer compatible with the latest builds of windows 10.

Have you just considered running a virtual-machine with Windows 7, instead?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Have you just considered running a virtual-machine with Windows 7, instead?

issues with the gpu side of things (or rather, lack thereof in a VM)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

issues with the gpu side of things (or rather, lack thereof in a VM)

Mind being a bit more specific? At least VMware does offer 3D-acceleration to the virtual-machines, so if it's just basic 3D-acceleration you need, it should be fine.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Mind being a bit more specific? At least VMware does offer 3D-acceleration to the virtual-machines, so if it's just basic 3D-acceleration you need, it should be fine.

its when the applications go look for a GPU, dont find one, and flip out.

i have one application that would theoretically run just fine in a VM, but it enforces software rendering because it cant detect a GPU, and that in turn causes the mouse sensitivity to go haywire for some reason.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

its when the applications go look for a GPU, dont find one, and flip out.

i have one application that would theoretically run just fine in a VM, but it enforces software rendering because it cant detect a GPU, and that in turn causes the mouse sensitivity to go haywire for some reason.

And you have tried it with VMware? I'm not trying to push the idea of VMs on you, if you have tried VMware and it didn't work, then I'll accept that. In such a case, going with a remote-desktop is understandable and Splashtop Desktop might be a good one for you -- it is actually speedy and should work fine.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

And you have tried it with VMware? I'm not trying to push the idea of VMs on you, if you have tried VMware and it didn't work, then I'll accept that. In such a case, going with a remote-desktop is understandable and Splashtop Desktop might be a good one for you -- it is actually speedy and should work fine.

my main rig is already running virtualbox, i'd greatly prefer not to also need VMware on it as well.

EDIT: free trial on splashtop.. rather not :/

Just now, manikyath said:

my main rig is already running virtualbox, i'd greatly prefer not to also need VMware on it as well.

Well, okay. Take a look at Splashtop, then? It's supposed to be free for personal use.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

EDIT: free trial on splashtop.. rather not :/

Must be looking at the wrong version, the one at https://www.splashtop.com/personal says nothing about trial.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Must be looking at the wrong version, the one at https://www.splashtop.com/personal says nothing about trial.

front page is "splash"ing trial all over, kind of a red flag for me, but its not like there's many options left :P

EDIT: i need an account for LAN accessing my desktop.. nope.

23 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've considered synergy, but it requires an additional display on my desk, and while i have a (very old) installer for synergy laying around somewhere, i was displeased with the specific implementation for my (very specific) use case.

I use synergy and simply connect the second PC to an alternate input on the same monitor.  switching is relatively simple, and quick.

I also have a triple monitor setup, so i still have 2 displays available on my host mahcine when i do this.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

1 minute ago, MedievalMatt said:

I use synergy and simply connect the second PC to an alternate input on the same monitor.  switching is relatively simple, and quick.

I also have a triple monitor setup, so i still have 2 displays available on my host mahcine when i do this.

well.. i'd do that.. but it'd mean giving up a 1440p display to run stuff, usually in some silly 4:3 resolution, stretched to 2560:1440.

Just now, manikyath said:

well.. i'd do that.. but it'd mean giving up a 1440p display to run stuff, usually in some silly 4:3 resolution, stretched to 2560:1440.

what is your setup like.

I run triple monitor with a server, Linux box (my daily driver) and a windows gaming PC all connected.  the Linux box is my host and i use secondary inputs on the displays when i want to work on the other PCs.

Sometimes it creates issues when i need to switch back and forth a bunch, but on the whole it works well.

If you only have the one display I could see things being iffy.

Capture card maybe?  A lot of them allow you to "monitor" the capture stream.

Linux Daily Driver:

CPU: R5 2400G

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

HDD: 1TB POS HDD from an old Dell

SSD: 256GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: 1200W Corsair HX1200

Gaming Rig:

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-N Wi-Fi ITX

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Asus Turbo GTX 1070 @ 2GHz

HDD: 3TB Toshiba something or other

SSD: 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2

Case: Shared with Daily - Phanteks Mini XL DS

PSU: Shared with Daily - 1200W Corsair HX1200

Server

CPU: Ryzen7 1700

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI Plus

RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4

GPU: Nvidia GT 710

HDD: 1X 10TB Seagate ironwolf NAS Drive.  4X 3TB WD Red NAS Drive.

SSD: Adata 128GB

Case: NZXT Source 210 (white)

PSU: EVGA 650 G2 80Plus Gold

Just now, MedievalMatt said:

what is your setup like.

I run triple monitor with a server, Linux box (my daily driver) and a windows gaming PC all connected.  the Linux box is my host and i use secondary inputs on the displays when i want to work on the other PCs.

Sometimes it creates issues when i need to switch back and forth a bunch, but on the whole it works well.

If you only have the one display I could see things being iffy.

Capture card maybe?  A lot of them allow you to "monitor" the capture stream.

2x 1440p display to my main workstation, and RDP or teamviewer everything else. 

and as for the capture card.. considered, decided USB KVM costs about the same and would be an "AIO solution"