Is my system good enough for 144Hz casual gaming?

Hey guys,

so my question is will my system get enough FPS to benefit from a 144Hz monitor?

I currently have a 1080p monitor and I want to get a 1440p monitor with either 75Hz or 144Hz.

CPU Intel i5 4670k

Motherboard MSI Z87-G43

RAM G.Skill ARES 16GB DDR3

GPU GTX 1080

I play games like Project Reality, Squad and Battlefield 1.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you gonna get 144fps+ at 1440p with that spec. it's gonna be 100ish., unless you put all setting to low-mid.

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

11 minutes ago, Untitled said:

I don't think you gonna get 144fps+ at 1440p with that spec. it's gonna be 100ish., unless you put all setting to low-mid.

Do you know any 1440p IPS panel with 120Hz? Maybe this would be a better choice. Or should I even just a 75Hz?

3 minutes ago, Hip said:

Do you know any 1440p IPS panel with 120Hz? Maybe this would be a better choice. Or should I even just a 75Hz?

120Hz is outdated. and 75Hz is hard to find. maybe just buy 144hz. because you can always upgrade your computer in the future.

Primary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | M/B: Asus ROG Strix X370-F | RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz 32GB | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 250GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB x2 | Power: Thermaltake Toughpower 80+ Gold 650W | Sound card: Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5  | Case: NZXT H500 | Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 | Display: Samsung CHG70 27" 1440p 144Hz QLED

Secondary PC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | M/B: Asrock B450M Pro 4 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator 3200MHz 16GB | GPU: Asrock RX 5700 8GB GDDR6 | SSD: Crucial P1 1TB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Power: Coolermaster Masterwatt 550 | CaseAerocool Cylon Mini | Cooling: BeQuiet Pure Rock Slim 2 | Display: Samsung CFG73 24" 1080p 144Hz QLED

Thanks for reading

21 minutes ago, Untitled said:

120Hz is outdated. and 75Hz is hard to find. maybe just buy 144hz. because you can always upgrade your computer in the future.

I found some with 75Hz but I'm still a bit undecided because I'm not planning to upgrade my system for the next 2 years or so. Just the monitor. It's also impossible to find any cheap IPS 144Hz panel. Do you know any good? My budget is 450 USD.

Asus MG279Q is pretty good, but it's a bit over your budget.

Primary PC

Secondary PC

Thanks for reading

34 minutes ago, Hip said:

I found some with 75Hz but I'm still a bit undecided because I'm not planning to upgrade my system for the next 2 years or so. Just the monitor. It's also impossible to find any cheap IPS 144Hz panel. Do you know any good? My budget is 450 USD.

pixio has one on amazon for 400 https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-Display-Professional-FreeSync-Certified/dp/B0761P6MC7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1533928657&sr=8-2&keywords=pixio+ips]

Also here is a Nixeus one for 430 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071G6PGP7/?tag=pcpapi-20

25 minutes ago, somewittyaccountname said:

Unfortunately those are not available in europe. I live outside the US. But thank you very much! In europe there are just the big brands like Samsung, ASUS, MSI, etc.

53 minutes ago, Untitled said:

Asus MG279Q is pretty good, but it's a bit over your budget.

Thanks! I didn't see this monitor before. It may be a good choice concerning the reviews. I'll see if I can find more like this.

Yes you would benefit a lot from it, if you have 80-90fps on a 144hz you can already easily tell the difference compared to 60hz.

14 hours ago, ChernobilChuck said:

Yes you would benefit a lot from it, if you have 80-90fps on a 144hz you can already easily tell the difference compared to 60hz.

Would it also make sense to buy a 144Hz monitor and just set it on 100Hz then?

On 2018. 08. 11. at 12:56 PM, Hip said:

Would it also make sense to buy a 144Hz monitor and just set it on 100Hz then?

Sorry for the late answer but from my experience you can but it's pointless, it's a misconception that you need 144fps for a 144hz display, it's nice because you can take advantage of the display but a 144hz display will be the same experience as a 60hz one AT 60fps, with this i mean it won't be worse or lag, it will display the 60frames just like the 60hz one would.

Hey Hip, i have the same cpu as you and i would like to add, because i experimented with resolutions and fps A LOT these past 2 years :

-1440p 144hz is possible for you but far from ideal cause your CPU will hold you back your GPU by about 25-30fps almost all the time (by that i mean in games where you can actually get high fps a.k.a. cpu bound games)

- Make sure you clocked it good at 4.4Ghz stable at least and have good cooling ready.

-As the dudes above said better get comfy with low - medium settings gaming cause you will need in all games you wanna run at 100fps+ 

-if your board is flashed high enough, it might be worth to grab a second hand i7 4790k cause it will make those high fps easier to get (if you have good cooling for your CPU might as well use it on a hot cpu instead cause its not possible to get high fps on a slow 4670k anyway)

-Be aware that your 1080 is being held back by that 4670k no matter what the the cpu speed is. 

-also keep in mind that 1440p 144fps is much harder to do than 4k 60hz so make sure you are ready and willing to sacrifice a lot of graphics to get those 100fps cause you will hardly go any higher in most games at 1440 with your cpu.

-As a fellow haswell gamer i advice you if you really want high refresh rate gaming stick to 1080p, or grab that devils i7 cheap if you can, and then run 1440p 144hz and enjoy;

Have fun and happy gaming! 

Using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ivan Belic said:

-1440p 144hz is possible for you but far from ideal cause your CPU will hold you back your GPU by about 25-30fps almost all the time (by that i mean in games where you can actually get high fps a.k.a. cpu bound games)

So that means I could get 30 FPS more with a better CPU?

-if your board is flashed high enough

What do you mena by flashed?

-also keep in mind that 1440p 144fps is much harder to do than 4k 60hz so make sure you are ready and willing to sacrifice a lot of graphics to get those 100fps cause you will hardly go any higher in most games at 1440 with your cpu.

Good to know that! I didn't before!!

-As a fellow haswell gamer i advice you if you really want high refresh rate gaming stick to 1080p, or grab that devils i7 cheap if you can, and then run 1440p 144hz and enjoy;

i7 4790k could get me enough FPS for 144Hz?

In order to put the 2014 i7 devils canyon cpu in your board, it's bios needs to be flashed, because your board is 2013 and the cpu is 2014 i think, it wouldnt work without the bios update;

Yea the i7 4790k should give you more fps because of its higher IPC and HT where usable, but only if you drop the quality to medium or medium low, depending on the game, if you go high or very high or even ultra, the cpu won't matter that much because all the stress will be put on the GPU;  - and this is 1080p i'm talking about;

If you go 1440p then the GPU will work harder and will need a stronger CPU to follow suit; 

Here's a dirty test if you curious about the FPS you gonna get; 

Run a game now in 1080p and watch the fps, then divide it by 2 and thats the amount you will get if you go 1440p high settings;

You didnt say what speed your cpu is running at and whether if its overclocked or not;

If you run a stock 4670k then forget high refresh rate gaming esp. on 1440p, it's turbo is on 3.8Ghz and that should give you around 80-90 fps on very high with a gtx 1080, or less if you go crazy with anti aliasing options in the game :) 

Using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, Ivan Belic said:

You didnt say what speed your cpu is running at and whether if its overclocked or not;

If you run a stock 4670k then forget high refresh rate gaming esp. on 1440p, it's turbo is on 3.8Ghz and that should give you around 80-90 fps on very high with a gtx 1080, or less if you go crazy with anti aliasing options in the game :) 

It's running on 3,40GHz like it's got out of the factory.

So you think I should rather stick with 75Hz than 144Hz?

So your cpu is not even overclocked?  Trust me it's not running at 3.4 or else that 1080 would work like a 1060 ;)

Not sure if i should ask but are you using the intel stock cooler or custom air or liquid cooling..

- Sorry to say but they way your computer works it's like you had a 1060 instead of a 1080 :)

You need much more cpu power for a 1080 alone, not to mention high fps gaming;

What you can do is flash your bios, get that i7 4790k and clock to 4.4Ghz at least;

if you can, get GOOD cooling because its a hot cpu much hotter than the 4670k,  and maybe then you have a chance (with medium settings at 1440p)

-Why did you get a 4670k and not overclock it if i may ask? 

Using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Ivan Belic said:

So your cpu is not even overclocked?  Trust me it's not running at 3.4 or else that 1080 would work like a 1060 ;)

Not sure if i should ask but are you using the intel stock cooler or custom air or liquid cooling..

- Sorry to say but they way your computer works it's like you had a 1060 instead of a 1080 :)

You need much more cpu power for a 1080 alone, not to mention high fps gaming;

What you can do is flash your bios, get that i7 4790k and clock to 4.4Ghz at least;

if you can, get GOOD cooling because its a hot cpu much hotter than the 4670k,  and maybe then you have a chance (with medium settings at 1440p)

-Why did you get a 4670k and not overclock it if i may ask? 

I have the stock cooler from intel :-D

I will get a new one soon. I didn't overclock it because I didn't know how much I could do because of the stock cooler.

Don't rush, take your time, learn everything you can, and if you make the choice then prepare and and you will be able to enjoy in the best way possible! 

Using Tapatalk