Ram Help PLS (DDR3 vs DDR4) (For my pc build)

Go to solution Solved by TetraSky,
30 minutes ago, soggytofu said:

Yeah, so will ddr3 fry the cpu? And if so, is there a way to decrease the ram watt usage to a certain level for it to be compatible?

DDR3L exist so just get that if you're afraid of burning it and want to be sure it will be compatible.

Now everything in the spoiler below is really what you "could do" and not what you "should do", use only as information and not as advice

Spoiler

DDR3 may run just fine, contrary to what the other poster said, it's really down to the support on the motherboard itself, even if the CPU "officially" only support DDR3L.

Just that the memory controller on that CPU is limited to 1.35V, hence if you put in "normal" DDR3 instead of DDR3L(Really the same thing, the L stand for Low Voltage), you'll have to downclock the RAM a little so that it goes from 1.5V to 1.35V. (The bios will likely do this by itself, if not it's easy to do it)
Give this a read if you want to learn more.

This is somewhat like how CPUs used to only officially support RAM up to 1.5V, but manufacturers made RAM sticks that were 1.65V and you could overclock it to reach said voltage, did it burn CPUs? Nope...

I also can't find a single mention of a CPU's memory controller having been burned out due to using higher voltage DDR3 over DDR3L, online.

This might be a bigger issue on a laptop, where the CPU isn't adequately cooled, but on a desktop, the memory controller on the CPU should be able to handle the higher voltage just fine with the better cooling it gets.

That said, it's all down to the motherboard support. If the manufacturer decided to prevent RAM above 1.35V from working, the system will simply reject the RAM and not even POST. Hence, unless you have a bunch of DDR3 on hands already to try it out, do not go out and buy some.

Just get DDR3L if you do not have any DDR3 at the moment.

(And in the unlikely scenario that the CPU "does" burn out, it wouldn't happen straight away, it would be months, maybe years from now, so you're free to try it out if you have some spare DDR3 on you)

But hey, better safe than sorry, if you have the option, get DDR3L.

So, my friend says he has a core i5 6600 that he could sell to me. He also said he could throw in a bunch of extra ddr3 ram with the deal, all for 75 dollars. I was wondering if that ddr3 ram would be compatible with the core i5 6600, or would i need to buy ddr4 ram. It is not ddr3l ram either. If I can use the ddr3 ram, would i need to buy a certain motherboard, or would i need to lower the ram watt usage. I really dont know, so all the help i can get is a big thankyou.

Edit*

So will the ddr3 ram fry my cpu and motherboard if its not ddr3l?

THE RAM I WILL RECIEVE IS REGULAR DDR3

P.S.

What gpu should i get? In USD

Sapphire PULSE ITX rx 570 4 gb $180

PowerColor RED DRAGON rx 480 $180

MSI GTX 970 $140

That CPU is compatible with both DDR4 and DDR3.

As such, the RAM compatibility reside with the motherboard.

If he says it's DDR3, then the motherboard only support DDR3, it doesn't support DDR4. You'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard today that support multiple RAM standard.

If you want DDR4, you'll need to change the motherboard.

The small increase in performance, especially considering you'll be using a dedicated GPU, isn't even worth it. Stay on DDR3.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

There are some H170 boards that support DDR3, so yes, you could use DDR3 with it.

All three are roughly the same performance wise, so whichever you can get cheapest or fits your preferences.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

DDR3 isn't compatible.

1 minute ago, TetraSky said:

That CPU is compatible with both DDR4 and DDR3.

As such, the RAM compatibility reside with the motherboard.

If he says it's DDR3, then the motherboard only support DDR3, it doesn't support DDR4. You'd be hard pressed to find a motherboard today that support multiple RAM standard.

If you want DDR4, you'll need to change the motherboard.

It's DDR3L that's compatible, not DDR3. DDR3L runs at similar voltage as DDR4; using DDR3 may fry the CPU.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Yeah, so will ddr3 fry the cpu? And if so, is there a way to decrease the ram watt usage to a certain level for it to be compatible?

30 minutes ago, soggytofu said:

DDR3L exist so just get that if you're afraid of burning it and want to be sure it will be compatible.

Now everything in the spoiler below is really what you "could do" and not what you "should do", use only as information and not as advice

Spoiler

DDR3 may run just fine, contrary to what the other poster said, it's really down to the support on the motherboard itself, even if the CPU "officially" only support DDR3L.

Just that the memory controller on that CPU is limited to 1.35V, hence if you put in "normal" DDR3 instead of DDR3L(Really the same thing, the L stand for Low Voltage), you'll have to downclock the RAM a little so that it goes from 1.5V to 1.35V. (The bios will likely do this by itself, if not it's easy to do it)
Give this a read if you want to learn more.

This is somewhat like how CPUs used to only officially support RAM up to 1.5V, but manufacturers made RAM sticks that were 1.65V and you could overclock it to reach said voltage, did it burn CPUs? Nope...

I also can't find a single mention of a CPU's memory controller having been burned out due to using higher voltage DDR3 over DDR3L, online.

This might be a bigger issue on a laptop, where the CPU isn't adequately cooled, but on a desktop, the memory controller on the CPU should be able to handle the higher voltage just fine with the better cooling it gets.

That said, it's all down to the motherboard support. If the manufacturer decided to prevent RAM above 1.35V from working, the system will simply reject the RAM and not even POST. Hence, unless you have a bunch of DDR3 on hands already to try it out, do not go out and buy some.

Just get DDR3L if you do not have any DDR3 at the moment.

(And in the unlikely scenario that the CPU "does" burn out, it wouldn't happen straight away, it would be months, maybe years from now, so you're free to try it out if you have some spare DDR3 on you)

But hey, better safe than sorry, if you have the option, get DDR3L.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Yeah, thanksTetraSky

BTW, he said he like 20+ sticks of ddr3 ram if i were to buy, so i dont think there will be a problem if i need to test out ram xD