nvidia error 43, please help

so after 4 hours of messing around i finally got pci-e passthrough to work. however my nvidia card is getting error 43... i already tried the last step in this guide:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ubuntu-17-04-vfio-pcie-passthrough-kernel-update-4-14-rc1/119639

which should fix that, but it hasn't. 

i'm using Linux Mint 19, running Windows 10 home in a VM. 

my specs are in my signature. 

She/Her

Could you post the contents of your /etc/libvirt/<vm name>.xml here?

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

13 minutes ago, TakataruMC said:

Could you post the contents of your /etc/libvirt/<vm name>.xml here?

it doesn't matter at this point. i've given up. i installed an RX460 instead of the GTX 1050 i was trying to do this with, and that works flawlessly. 

She/Her

Oh, alright then.

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

You have to hide the fact that windos is running under VM and thaterror will get lost :)

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

6 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

it doesn't matter at this point. i've given up. i installed an RX460 instead of the GTX 1050 i was trying to do this with, and that works flawlessly. 

Makes sense. Nvidia Geforce cards are unsupported for virtualization. Even most older Quadros can't be made to work anymore. At this point, you need either an AMD card or go Tesla/GRID.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

You have to hide the fact that windos is running under VM and thaterror will get lost :)

i tried that, didn't work. 

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Makes sense. Nvidia Geforce cards are unsupported for virtualization. Even most older Quadros can't be made to work anymore. At this point, you need either an AMD card or go Tesla/GRID.

really? 

She/Her

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i tried that, didn't work. 

really? 

Yep. It's a driver thing. Once it detects it's on virtual hardware it locks you out. No workaround anymore for it either.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

Yep. It's a driver thing. Once it detects it's on virtual hardware it locks you out. No workaround anymore for it either.

ugh... thanks nvidia. 

She/Her

theres one thing in that guide that i dont see mentioned. There is a line you need to add to the very top of the xml definition for your virtual machine otherwise none of the changes you made wont actually take effect. Im not home right now so i cant copy in the line here but im sure its searchable.

Also make sure that you place the "<hidden state='on'/>" in the correct section otherwise it doesnt work. 

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

I had a amd based poweredge server and gt 730 card got this same error non virt machine. I tried windows 7 32 nd 64 bit 8 and 8.1 32 and 64 bit windows 10 32 and 64 bit and guess what? Error 43 on all of them hlf dozen driver versions etc. This error has been around going all the ay back to windows xp and no fix has ever been found that works for every one. It always happens this way with a amd cpu and nvidia video card. Some times intel cpus will get it but a driver update reinstall etc will fix it. 

For fun i just put that same card in to another much newer amd based machine and got the error again.

"Windows has stopped this device because it reported problems error 43." 

5 minutes ago, nanaki said:

I had a amd based poweredge server and gt 730 card got this same error non virt machine. I tried windows 7 32 nd 64 bit 8 and 8.1 32 and 64 bit windows 10 32 and 64 bit and guess what? Error 43 on all of them hlf dozen driver versions etc. This error has been around going all the ay back to windows xp and no fix has ever been found that works for every one. It always happens this way with a amd cpu and nvidia video card. Some times intel cpus will get it but a driver update reinstall etc will fix it. 

For fun i just put that same card in to another much newer amd based machine and got the error again.

i've got Xeon's.. no amd here. 

She/Her

23 minutes ago, nanaki said:

Code 43 is a generic error that means something went wrong starting the device. It could have any number of causes for any number of reasons. When working with virtual machines and gpu passthrough it is most likely due to nvidia drivers detecting the VM environment and not allowing itself to be started

6 hours ago, Fleetscut said:

theres one thing in that guide that i dont see mentioned. There is a line you need to add to the very top of the xml definition for your virtual machine otherwise none of the changes you made wont actually take effect. Im not home right now so i cant copy in the line here but im sure its searchable.

Also make sure that you place the "<hidden state='on'/>" in the correct section otherwise it doesnt work. 

Heres the line. My setup never worked until i replaced the first line with this

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>