Problems with I7-4790K

Hey guys,

first of all my specs :

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT

Intel core i7 4790K (cooled by noctua NHD-15 and sufficient air flow in the case)

2x G.skill ares 1600mhz, 1.5v cl8 4gb

2x G.skill ares 1600mhz, 1.5v cl9 4gb

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

Now to my problem:

I recently did an upgrade on my CPU from an i5 4460 to said 4790k. I installed the CPU, checked temps and on stock it was running at well over 100C under load so i made sure the cooler was mounted correctly and then did some digging and long story shot: i set Vcore from well over 1.2 to 1.108 and the temps were under control. Now to the current problems. Running it at the stock turbo frequency of 4.4ghz would cause Bluescreens when stresstesting and the system wouldn´t boot properly sometimes so i turned off the turbo and at least in the timeframe that it would BSOD whith turbo on everything ran fine (didn´t have the time to do very long stresstests but no problems were showing up at over half an hour p95 while with turbo on it would crash after hardly 10 seconds).

Now with the stock frequency just the boot problem appears which shows itself in this way: while starting up the BIOS launches and displays that the current settings seem to cause problem and suggests i change them. I tried playing around with the Vcore voltage a little with stock and turbo clock but that didn´t help. Also i never had any problems under normal use with either of the settings except the booting thing.

So to clarify: things i changed in bios: Vcore voltage

Turbo boost off/on

ram timings from 11,11,11,28 to 9,9,9,24     

idealy i would likke to run the CPU at the turbo speed but if i could at least achieve a stable system that would be great. ill add a screenshot of the debugging tool for the BSOD.

if you need any more info just let me know.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Capture.PNG

2 minutes ago, MaxEEE said:

Hey guys,

first of all my specs :

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT

Intel core i7 4790K (cooled by noctua NHD-15 and sufficient air flow in the case)

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

Now to my problem:

I recently did an upgrade on my CPU from an i5 4460 to said 4790k. I installed the CPU, checked temps and on stock it was running at well over 100C under load so i made sure the cooler was mounted correctly and then did some digging and long story shot: i set Vcore from well over 1.2 to 1.108 and the temps were under control. Now to the current problems. Running it at the stock turbo frequency of 4.4ghz would cause Bluescreens when stresstesting and the system wouldn´t boot properly sometimes so i turned off the turbo and at least in the timeframe that it would BSOD whith turbo on everything ran fine (didn´t have the time to do very long stresstests but no problems were showing up at over half an hour p95 while with turbo on it would crash after hardly 10 seconds).

Now with the stock frequency just the boot problem appears which shows itself in this way: while starting up the BIOS launches and displays that the current settings seem to cause problem and suggests i change them. I tried playing around with the Vcore voltage a little with stock and turbo clock but that didn´t help. Also i never had any problems under normal use with either of the settings except the booting thing.

Turbo boost off/on

idealy i would likke to run the CPU at the turbo speed but if i could at least achieve a stable system that would be great. ill add a screenshot of the debugging tool for the BSOD.

Kind Regards

If it's crashing you'll need more voltage...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

First of all, congrats on breaking the forums.

Spoiler

A4EFRBK.png

As for your stability problem, I suspect not enough voltage to stay stable. Have you apply fresh thermal paste after swapping CPU?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

I hope you did apply the thermal paste properly. Otherwise the thermal paste between the IHS and the chip has deteriorated and needs to be changed ... that happened to me once.

1 minute ago, Br3tt96 said:

If it's crashing you'll need more voltage...

What they said is correct, get your temps under control

11 minutes ago, MaxEEE said:

Hey guys,

first of all my specs :

Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

Now to my problem:

Turbo boost off/on

Kind Regards

Capture.PNG

you buy the i7  new or used?

thanks for the quick replys guys.

as for my temps thermal paste etc.. temps are fine now package hits maybe 72c when under load and i made sure thermal paste is applied correctly.

as for the voltage i tried raising it to no result except highering the temps (not to concerning levels tho). maybe i didn´t raise it enough? i put it up to 1.30 with turbo enabled, same problem. to low voltage would also explain the boot problems? intels recommended voltage is 1.108.

also the cpu is new.

7 minutes ago, MaxEEE said:

thanks for the quick replys guys.

as for my temps thermal paste etc.. temps are fine now package hits maybe 72c when under load and i made sure thermal paste is applied correctly.

as for the voltage i tried raising it to no result except highering the temps (not to concerning levels tho). maybe i didn´t raise it enough? i put it up to 1.30 with turbo enabled, same problem. to low voltage would also explain the boot problems? intels recommended voltage is 1.108.

also the cpu is new.

if you arent oc the cpu leave the voltage in auto  but just be sure  that isnt so high or it will give you high temp

sometimes the motherboard deliver more than recomended

ihave a i7 4790k i dont oc i leave in auto  in hwinfo it say it gets 1.2 v max at stock with turbo on

auto doesn´t work as i said. the stock voltage is waaaaayy to high. over 100C.

the i7 you have should have stock voltages of up to 1.273 volts under load. No wonder your PC keeps crashing ._.

There is something wrong with your chip. And the only thing that I can come up with is low thermal energy flow between the IHS and your cooler.

Either get a new CPU or try to fix that ._, I don't know how much you would have to underclock your CPU to mach those voltages or if that even works at all ...

i mounted the cooler like 3 times and also tried it with a different one. after the problem showed up i did some research and found people having the same problem with the proposed solution being to lower the voltage which for some worked out at voltages well below 1.2. so i should try raising it as much as i can without making it evaporate and if that doesnt work something is wrong with the cpu?

Ok so far so good. i upped the voltage to 1.90 which resulted in temps of blistering 94C during prime 95 but no BSOD so the voltage seems to be the cause of it.

On the weekend i will try to get those temps in check (making extra sure cooler is mounted correctly and adjusting the voltage some more) but since i will not even get close to those temps in normal use i will leave it at that for now. i will post some results after i have done some further testing.

thanks a lot so far.

Run mine at 1.26v @ 4.6. Used to do 4.8 but doesn’t do much aside from extra heat. 

If it runs at default settings than it isn’t an issue. Need bettter cooler or to delid it. 

Either way it needs its voltage, no getting around that except doing real world testing over a longer period.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

oh damn how hot does it get? my cooler should be no problem at all so i guess i mounted it incorrectly which i don´t think unless im grossly incompetent because i mounted it several times with the exact same results. did you delid it?

Idk, I haven’t stress tested it in while. I only care about real world. Actually got it up to 1.28, forgot about the adaptive +

Fans are only prolly at 40/45%

502E5F3C-FBFB-4310-AB3C-322B475D91FA.jpeg

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

oh wow under realworld load i hit close to 70 with 1.90. i guess im grossly incompetent then O.o. gonna recheck my cooler then. 

my ambient is at like 30c atm but that shouldn make a 20C difference if you actually reallyhave lower ambient temperetaures that is.

Those are high temps for me. Prefer little to no noise while gaming as I record a lot. 

Room prolly sits closer to 80 or high 70’s but that doesn’t last long with two pcs and 5 monitors heating up the room fairly quick. 

ok Guys thanks for your help, im now running stable with 1.26v vcore and 4.6ghz.

i hit max 70C during cinebench and while i still hit around  100c in p95 it doesn´t concern me much because the workload seems to be quite unrealistic.

so thanks again and keep on doing what you are doing :)