Ethernet connection being capped at 10 mbps

Varanzo

So i built my new PC, everything is fine, it doesn't have internet but it does have Ethernet. I noticed my Ethernet connection is much slower than my normal WiFi connection. My router is suppose to handle speeds up to 100 Mbps. But my task manager is capping it at 10 Mbps. Everything downloads very slow. Iv'e tried to look at many solutions but i couldn't find any. Any help?

It's either:

Your router is limiting it on purpose - change a setting.

Your computer's ethernet jack can't handle 100Mbps - get a new computer

The wire that you're using is too old - update to a newer one.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Is the driver properly matched to the hardware ID? I know sometimes bad drivers are matched and the performance of the device goes funky. E.g Wrong driver for Wifi could cause it to act weird.

If you retrieved drivers from manufacturer then it shouldn't be driver but in case you hadn't, try this:

Go into device manager and select the network adapter and in properties under details, in the pop-down list select hardware ID and copy and paste it into here or if you're comfortable Google and try searching for the driver, 

---
We can pin-point the exact driver you need with a hardware ID and it may fix your issue.

9 hours ago, NoRomanBatmansAllowed said:

Your computer's ethernet jack can't handle 100Mbps - get a new computer

The wire that you're using is too old - update to a newer one.

What horrible advice, lol.  Buy a new computer?  Get out of here with that.  Even the cat5e standard has been around nearly 20 years.

Something is likely damaged with the existing cable.  Install drivers, try a different cable, try a different port on the router. 

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

13 hours ago, Varanzo said:

My router is suppose to handle speeds up to 100 Mbps. But my task manager is capping it at 10 Mbps.

What model router do you have? Does it have a model name and number printed on the label on the back or under side?

Also, are you certain windows is displaying the network speed in Mbps and not MB/s? 100mbps would be around 12MB/s, which may be what you're seeing.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, beersykins said:

What horrible advice, lol.  Buy a new computer?  Get out of here with that.  Even the cat5e standard has been around nearly 20 years.

I have no idea what kind of computer OP is running.

With the router capped at 100Mbps I'm assuming that the computer might be very old.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

Sorry guys, to make things clear I meant mb/s

16 hours ago, Varanzo said:

So i built my new PC, everything is fine, it doesn't have internet but it does have Ethernet. I noticed my Ethernet connection is much slower than my normal WiFi connection. My router is suppose to handle speeds up to 100 Mbps. But my task manager is capping it at 10 Mbps. Everything downloads very slow. Iv'e tried to look at many solutions but i couldn't find any. Any help?

You simply cannot expect your task manager to tell you why you get lower speed than you would want. There are too many factors in connection speed and i can see serval of them missing here.

My first question is:

1. What connection is provided to you?
  2. Do you have drive capacity to handle these speeds?
  3. Do you have the right network cable?
  4. Why would you expect your pc to pull full speed if it's not needed?

Another things to ask yourself is: Are other people using the connection?

Please be more clear in what you are asking.