AMD for Music Production?

Go to solution Solved by cosmicdrew,

I'm using a Ryzen 1700X for Ableton Live 10 and I had no idea others have had issues. I've had 100+ tracks in my ALS projects and over 80 VSTs including CPU intensive plugins like Serum and Izotope's Ozone 8, plus many using jbridge to convert the 32-bit VST2 plugins to the Abelton Live compatible 64-bit. I used a Behringer UMC404HD and it runs smoothly with just 15ms latency. I used the FX-8370 until this spring for Ableton Live 9 and going close to 100 tracks with multiple VSTs I would have to freeze certain groups that I wasn't working on at the time, but with my upgraded Ryzen system it's a breeze.

I know this thread exists everywhere, however they are all a little dated, and I'm mainly concerned in regards for the R7 2700X.

Anyone part of the AMD squad who sees this and uses a DAW to produce (mainly Ableton and FL), please lmk on how its running for you.

I understand that Intel's faster single core performance is extremely beneficial and makes it the overall king for music production, but is AMD really as bad as some make it to be? Some examples, latency issues, stability issues, no thunderbolt interface, etc.

Any info is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using a Ryzen 1700X for Ableton Live 10 and I had no idea others have had issues. I've had 100+ tracks in my ALS projects and over 80 VSTs including CPU intensive plugins like Serum and Izotope's Ozone 8, plus many using jbridge to convert the 32-bit VST2 plugins to the Abelton Live compatible 64-bit. I used a Behringer UMC404HD and it runs smoothly with just 15ms latency. I used the FX-8370 until this spring for Ableton Live 9 and going close to 100 tracks with multiple VSTs I would have to freeze certain groups that I wasn't working on at the time, but with my upgraded Ryzen system it's a breeze.