Server OS

Hello.

I want to build a home server for uses like a network firewall, a central storage location and maybe even to try and boot devices from it. I want a Linux based OS so I do not have to pay as 13 year olds do not have jobs, and also just for a new OS experience. As far as hardware goes, I have a computer that I revived from school. The dell OptiPlex 9010 has 4gb ddr3, 750GB Toshiba hdd, i3 3240. I am also new to Linux. But there are so may distro's, and I do not know what to get. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

37 minutes ago, The aussie tech kid said:

But there are so may distro's, and I do not know what to get.

Stick with either a debian-based distro, or redhat-based one.

My preference is Ubunutu 16.04 LTS. The LTS is Long Term Support and doesn't put a lot of cruft in the build. A solid starting choice.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

SuSE is fine. I still have the box set for SuSE 6.1 released in 1999 and even back then it was a quality distro.. something they have always maintained.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law

8 hours ago, jde3 said:

SuSE is fine. I still have the box set for SuSE 6.1 released in 1999 and even back then it was a quality distro.. something they have always maintained.

I think I just found the guy that leaves ancient boxes in the back corner of server rooms, running business critical processes.

Can you at least start the virtualise these servers? 

No, lol. SuSE 6.1 wouldn't support any modern hardware newer than a 686. Box set, (meaning software you use to buy from a store.. that was a thing) not box.

"Only proprietary software vendors want proprietary software." - Dexter's Law