XPS 13 - Battery lost 82% charge while sleeping

So today I go to use my XPS 13 (one week old, has suffered no abuse by my bands) after I had closed the lid and left it on sleep overnight and while I was at work (22 hours).

The battery was totally dry. From 80% to 0% with no load at all in 22 hours.

Concerned, I got a battery usage report using command prompt and the attached image is the result.

Notice the drop from 80% to 1%?

What on Earth is going on and how can I fix this? Cheers lads.

XPSwtfBATTERY.PNG

Edited by Gealach
Attachment did not attach lmao

so the pc is running idle for 22 hours on battery.

i would say its a good endurance.

idled cpu cost some energy too you know.

but if the laptop were sleeping in that 22 hours thats a different thing.

sleeping cost some energy too, but not as much as idle.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

so the pc is running idle for 22 hours on battery.

i would say its a good endurance.

idled cpu cost some energy too you know.

but if the laptop were sleeping in that 22 hours thats a different thing.

sleeping cost some energy too, but not as much as idle.

Aye was sleeping (lid closed)

Will update post

set the power plan to :

- turn off monitor xxx minutes.

- sleep xxx minutes. (sleeping turn off most hardware but still need power to retain memory, waking is instant)

- hibernate in xxx hours. (hibernate moved the session from memory to hdd, and back when waking but will need some time, the power is 0).

when your pc reach hibernation it will turn off completely without any power consumption.

you can resume your work after booting, not as instant as sleeping though.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, Gealach said:

Aye was sleeping (lid closed)

Will update post

I have a work Dell laptop that had done the same thing... it wakes up by itself sometimes. Usually when it happens I end up pulling it from my bag to use it and it is just on...and hot... it only does it rarely so I haven't really messed with trying to figure out what is causing it.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Razor Blade said:

I have a work Dell laptop that had done the same thing... it wakes up by itself sometimes. Usually when it happens I end up pulling it from my bag to use it and it is just on...and hot... it only does it rarely so I haven't really messed with trying to figure out what is causing it.

Username not relevant lmao

If I figure out wtf is going on I'll let you know. Right pain to have to Hibernate or Shut Down every time you want to transport the thing.

Will run some tests but I'm on holiday without the laptop tomorrow.

Any XPS owners, please add to this thread any info you have <3

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

set the power plan to :

- turn off monitor xxx minutes.

- sleep xxx minutes. (sleeping turn off most hardware but still need power to retain memory, waking is instant)

- hibernate in xxx hours. (hibernate moved the session from memory to hdd, and back when waking but will need some time, the power is 0).

when your pc reach hibernation it will turn off completely without any power consumption.

you can resume your work after booting, not as instant as sleeping though.

Strange thing is that my PC is set to hibernate after 30 minutes, which I changed to 15 to see how that affects things.

seems like you have a connection problem, the pc is prevented from sleeping due to network activities.

Go to system properties -> device manager -> find your wifi / lan adapter -> power management

tick Allow the computer to turn off device, and untick allow this device to wake the computer.

image.png.1190f4d6e319169d969f86bb99f0059b.png

image.png

5 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

seems like you have a connection problem, the pc is prevented from sleeping due to network activities.

My thoughts exactly, one of the driver changes I tried was that. Killer WiFi hasn't got that option (fuck killer)

XPSfuckKILLER.PNG

Further update to this FUCKING SAGA of a thread, my laptop can be sitting completely still and if I close the lid the fans kick in.

This is not normal behaviour for this one week old machine. Battery wear has also hit 8% and the laptop has gone from idling at 40C to 60C instantly.

Might RMA this shit and buy literally anything else. I'm too old for this nonsense.

would it bothers you too much to reset windows.

i think its a software issues maybe broken drivers.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

would it bothers you too much to reset windows.

i think its a software issues maybe broken drivers.

Was thinking that might not be an awful idea but it's a right pain. If it happens again I think I might try that

Yeah this is a really weird issue. You're not leaving anything particularly resource intensive running in the background? Something is clearly running when it shouldn't, probably like what @SupaKomputa said, network stuff going on in the background. Weird...