PLZ HELP

IBM_THINKPAD_R51

Hello everyone, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T440p. I REALLY and need want to install windows 2000 on it for various purposes. The problem is that i am getting the inaccessible boot device error (0x7b).

The fix would be to change the Sata mode to "compatibility" or "IDE" or something like that. But the Bois (its the latest version) does not have that option. I have heard that people downloaded modded BOIS's. 

ANY HELP?

It has to have that option in the BIOS, you may just be looking in the wrong place.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

It has to have that option in the BIOS, you may just be looking in the wrong place.

From what I can find, that functionality has been dropped by Lenovo completely. You're better off using virtualization to install Windows 2000 as a virtual machine. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Looking at the service manual of the system, you DO have the option!
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_ug_en.pdf

• disable UEFI mode
  • set SATA controller mode to Compatibility
  • disable USB 3.0 (turns them USB 2.0)
  • disable Intel virtualization
  • disable Intel VT-d
  • disable Intel Smart connect
  • disable Intel AMT
  • disable Fingerprint
  • disable security chip
  • disable Intel TXT feature
  • disable memory protection
  • disable NFC
  • disable Intel AT Module
  • disable  AT Suspend
  • disable Computrace

Should work now.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Looking at the service manual of the system, you DO have the option!
https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_ug_en.pdf

• disable UEFI mode
  • set SATA controller mode to Compatibility
  • disable USB 3.0 (turns them USB 2.0)
  • disable Intel virtualization
  • disable Intel VT-d
  • disable Intel Smart connect
  • disable Intel AMT
  • disable Fingerprint
  • disable security chip
  • disable Intel TXT feature
  • disable memory protection
  • disable NFC
  • disable Intel AT Module
  • disable  AT Suspend
  • disable Computrace

Should work now.

Maybe updating the BIOS removed that option?

11 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

Maybe updating the BIOS removed that option?

Well, assuming that is true, you have 2 options is:

Option 1

1. Get a USB Floppy Drive with a working 1.44MB floppy disk
  2. Find Windows XP drivers for your SATA controller and extract on the floppy the drivers (you need to have an *.inf file with a bunch of files next to it). Hopefully it fits inside the floppy. No you can't split the drivers in multiple floppies. And no you can't compress the files. Windows XP is very close to Windows 2000, and so XP drivers should work. Of course, if you manage to find Windows 2000 drivers it is even better, but I highly doubt you will.
  3. Boot Windows 2000 setup disk, and on the setup screen, while it loads, you'll have a small note to hit the F4 (or whatever) key to load additional drivers. It is mentioned on the gray bar at the bottom, you'll have a small moment to notice the message and hit a key. Do so, and have it read the floppy
  4. Resume Windows 2000 setup as normal.

Should work now (with all the options disabled in the UEFI mentioned above, assuming I didn't forget anything... but essentially disable everything you can, beside wireless and stuff, obviously, use common sense)

Once Windows 2000 is installed, if you are limited to 16 colors, and graphic drivers don't install, it may not know what PCI-Express is. You can try your luck with installing Windows XP chipset drivers for your system (assuming they exists and they decide to install, and not tell you it is for the wrong OS). Some setup and programs might not be able to run under 16-color mode, or even 256-colors mode. It needs to be at least 16-bit colors.

Option 2

Run the system with a modern version of Windows, and install Windows 2000 under Virtual Machine and see what you can do to make it work with what you need through that.