Driver issues

IAmAndre

Hi,

I'm having driver issues on my Huawei Matebook. I sometimes get a BSOF when watching Netflix or YouTube videos with the "Driver_power_state_failure" error code. I can see on Google that this issue is due to faulty drivers but I haven't installed any new device recently and I can't tell for sure which driver should be updated.

There seems to be another driver issue with the keyboard: it's supposed to light up in the dark, but sometimes it doesn't, even when I use the dedicated backlight control buttons. I have to put the tablet in sleep mode then turn it back on for the keyboard to light up, and sometimes it turns off again after a while... and sometimes everything works normally for weeks. So basically I suspect another driver issue here.

Now as a former Linux user, I'm surprised that there is no dedicated utility for such issues (like YaST on OpenSUSE). Is there any easy way to check all drivers, or should I go to the manufacturer's website and download and install all the drivers I find?

Thanks

30 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

should I go to the manufacturer's website and download and install all the drivers I find?

Try that first and see where that takes you. 

Also, if you haven't yet, do a scan of your Windows files for integrity violations (modifications made by malicious means like viruses, worms, etc. or inadvertent modifications by otherwise genuine applications). To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the command

sfc /

sfc /scannow

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

38 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Also, if you haven't yet, do a scan of your Windows files for integrity violations (modifications made by malicious means like viruses, worms, etc. or inadvertent modifications by otherwise genuine applications). To do this, open Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the command

So I just did this, and as I suspected, no issues have been found so I'll try to download and install all the drivers I can find. Do you confirm that installing the same driver twice won't cause any issue?

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

So I just did this, and as I suspected, no issues have been found so I'll try to download and install all the drivers I can find. Do you confirm that installing the same driver twice won't cause any issue?

It won't cause any issue.

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito @homeap5

So I've been to the Huawei website and apparently they have some kind of utility that does just that, and according to it, all drivers are up to date and there's no issue with my PC; So now I'm rather confused...

Screenshot (8).png

Screenshot (9).png

6 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito @homeap5

So I've been to the Huawei website and apparently they have some kind of utility that does just that, and according to it, all drivers are up to date and there's no issue with my PC; So now I'm rather confused...

First of all - "driver power state failure" does not have to mean that problem is with drivers. Windows (and any other operating system) can help to diagnose problem, but it's not computer service technician. For me it sounds like hardware issue. Of course Windows don't know is there a problem with hardware, because it can only tells you what is wrong with software, not what problem with hardware causes that (even if sometimes trying to guess).

55 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First of all - "driver power state failure" does not have to mean that problem is with drivers. Windows (and any other operating system) can help to diagnose problem, but it's not computer service technician. For me it sounds like hardware issue. Of course Windows don't know is there a problem with hardware, because it can only tells you what is wrong with software, not what problem with hardware causes that (even if sometimes trying to guess).

Checking if you have updated drivers is always one of your first steps. You slowly diagnose the problem by going through common causes and fixes. You don't immediately conclude a hardware problem.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Checking if you have updated drivers is always one of your first steps. You slowly diagnose the problem by going through common causes and fixes. You don't immediately conclude a hardware problem.

Immediately? Of course not. I read previous posts before comment and IAmAndre says that he check all drivers already, so next step should be checking hardware.

And I disagree that checking if you have drivers updated is first step. Checking if you have proper drivers - yes, for sure! But updated - not necessary. The same drivers not so long ago was "fresh and updated", so if nothing changed in hardware, should works like before. It's not that the drivers get old and stop working somehow. Producer may fix some bugs, that is obvious, but in that case you can also say that present drivers are probably bad, because in the future manufacturer release better and fixed ones.

And more important - if something is wrong with hardware (bad ram, overclocked/overheated cpu etc), it should be diagnosed as soon as possible, until will be too late. If you focus only on drivers update, scan operating system etc. you may make it worse. So sometimes checking hardware should be first step.

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Well it's a tablet so how am I supposed to check the hardware?

1 hour ago, IAmAndre said:

Well it's a tablet so how am I supposed to check the hardware?

You can't really. I'm just saying that it may be a reason.