Intel i3-8300 vs Ryzen 5 1600 gaming upgrade

Go to solution Solved by Macxd,

i say for go for the a ryzen upgrade because even if you went with a 1500x or 1400 you have oc head room and a much longer lasting platform in my opinion. because i think in 12 to 18 months you will be looking at buying another cpu, but a 4c/8t or 6c/12 thread will be multiple years before you out grow. 

I'm looking to upgrade the motherboard and CPU of my current computer (and by extension RAM since I plan on upgrading to a system that uses DDR4 ram while my current one has DDR3). I plan on using the system solely for gaming/internet browsing (no streaming/recording or workstation tasks). It already has a 1060 6gb in it, so my goal is to upgrade in the cheapest way possible that won't bottleneck the graphics card. It has to be under $300 total, and the less that is spent the better. I narrowed it down to the following two options.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jgLdr6

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jDpRTB

the i3-8300 is cheaper so obviously, I'd prefer to do that upgrade, but if it's going to bottleneck in a significant way then I'd rather spend a bit more and get the Ryzen 5 1600. If you think both of these options are dumb or you think that both will have significant bottlenecking then feel free to tell me what would be better around (but preferably under) the $300 price range.

For bonus points, my PC also needs Bluetooth to connect an Xbox One S controller. Obviously, latency is important to ensure there isn't any input lag. The wireless adapter specific for controllers would work (I have no other Bluetooth or wifi needs beyond the controller), but honestly I'd prefer something like this: (it's a PCIe X1 wifi adapter, any wifi standard that ends with ...../ac has Bluetooth)  https://pcpartpicker.com/product/r7RFf7/gigabyte-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42-none-wi-fi-adapter-gc-wb867d-i-rev-42 I actually already have a wifi card that does this and works in my current system but it uses a mini-PCIe slot (normally found in laptops, but it's on my desktop motherboard presumably because it was manufactured by Lenovo). If any of you could find an adapter with a male PCIe X1 and female mini-PCIe for under $25 that would work too (I searched and failed, most go from mini to full not the other way around)

benchmarks

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8300-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/m484077vs3919

I think most people are leaning toward team red right now

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

the 1600 will be alot better than the i3, what's your current budget and specs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

go for the ryzen

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

about $300 for a motherboard/ram/CPU upgrade (max), and I have a 1060 right now. not to mention the benchmarks seem to pit the two fairly close in gaming performance.

2 minutes ago, sauronofmordor said:

about $300 for a motherboard/ram/CPU upgrade (max), and I have a 1060 right now. not to mention the benchmarks seem to pit the two fairly close in gaming performance.

What CPU do you have now? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

ho for team red dude in this situation

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i5 4460, but i got a new case and need usb 3.0 headers so if i'm going to upgrade the mobo might as well do the CPU and ram at the same time (the 4460 uses lga 1150 instead of 1151)

also there seems to be a lot of dismissal for the 8300, but all I'm going to be using it for is gaming and it has a much higher clock and single thread performance than the 1600, I'm just wondering if i'm missing some key detail that makes it so much worse despite being cheaper?

1 minute ago, sauronofmordor said:

i5 4460, but i got a new case and need usb 3.0 headers so if i'm going to upgrade the mobo might as well do the CPU and ram at the same time (the 4460 uses lga 1150 instead of 1151)

you can always find a used i7 4770/Xeon e3 1231 v3 and a PCI-e usb3.0 adapter instead to save a few bucks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, sauronofmordor said:

also there seems to be a lot of dismissal for the 8300, but all I'm going to be using it for is gaming and it has a much higher clock and single thread performance than the 1600, I'm just wondering if i'm missing some key detail that makes it so much worse despite being cheaper?

only 4 cores over 6+SMT, it will choke on anything past a 1060 and it's not an upgrade over your current i5.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($149.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($80.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $280.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-31 19:28 EDT-0400

1 minute ago, sauronofmordor said:

Don't forget you can get 3.7 on that CPU with ease, and you have a decent chance of it hitting 3.9 or even higher 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

i say for go for the a ryzen upgrade because even if you went with a 1500x or 1400 you have oc head room and a much longer lasting platform in my opinion. because i think in 12 to 18 months you will be looking at buying another cpu, but a 4c/8t or 6c/12 thread will be multiple years before you out grow. 

Thanks guys, I decided to go with the 1600, but with a motherboard that can overclock it so that it pulls a healthy lead over the 8300.

I want to give credit to Herman Mcpootis though. His suggestion was very helpful, but I really wanted to modernize my computer and help to make it more upgradeable in the future.

here's my updated build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z7XMTB

I'm generally pro Intel all the way but get the Ryzen, i3 would be my last recommendation for anything other then email/webbrowsing. 

Firestrike 
i7-8700k @5.0GHz w/ 1.30v, Corsair h100iv2, Gigabye Aorus gaming 7, 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz ddr4, Dual RX470's OC'd to 1390mhz(atm) in corssfire - liguid cooled with corsair h60's, 3.25 TB in Samsung SSD's, anidees white crystal cube case 

Retired:
i5-4440k @3.2GHz, gigabyte ga-z87x-ud5h z87, 24GB DDR3, 3x1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD.

it's an 8th gen i3 at base frequencies it's better in many aspects to the 1600

3 hours ago, ITheSpazI said:

benchmarks

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i3-8300-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/m484077vs3919

I think most people are leaning toward team red right now

Agreed, I went with a Ryzen 5 1600 over a Coffee Lake i3 for my rig.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 minutes ago, sauronofmordor said:

this website ranks it above the 1600 for gaming

By 2%, that's not really a noticeable difference.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

right, there isn't much of a difference in performance, which is why the fact that the i3 is cheaper is all the more important

@Crunchy Dragon

Edited by sauronofmordor
realized I need to include a tag so Crunchy Dragon would see

It's the fact that you can easily overclock the 1600 along with better future-proofing (both in upgrading to new CPUs and games that can take advantage of multiple cores becoming more common) that makes the 1600 pull ahead. Otherwise, I would have gotten the cheaper equivalent (for gaming) i3-8300.

@Crunchy Dragon

Edited by sauronofmordor
realized I need to include a tag so Crunchy Dragon would see

9 minutes ago, sauronofmordor said:

right, there isn't much of a difference in performance, which is why the fact that the i3 is cheaper is all the more important

@sauronofmordor

If you're looking for a gaming specific budget CPU - I would go with the i3-8100. You don't need 6 cores and 8 threads for gaming, you need faster clocks.

I don't think it would be terrible for for some light web browsing and office multitasking either.

However, you could overclock the Ryzen 1600 - but then your PSU is going to become a factor. You think it's going to last more than 18 months OC'ing your CPU?

With your GPU, honestly I would go with the i3, get 12gb of RAM, and a $50 mobo not necessarily with bluetooth - just get a bluetooth dongle for like $10.

More RAM will be more important in fact if you can go up to $325-ish - just get 16gb RAM with the i3. 

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

15 minutes ago, sauronofmordor said:

@Crunchy Dragon

Ryzen is a better option overall, in my honest opinion. I did a bunch of research into this when I was planning my upgrade, I was trying to decide between the i3-8100 and Ryzen 1600(1400 at the time).

5 minutes ago, sauronofmordor said:

It's the fact that you can easily overclock the 1600 along with better future-proofing (both in upgrading to new CPUs and games that can take advantage of multiple cores becoming more common) that makes the 1600 pull ahead. Otherwise, I would have gotten the cheaper equivalent (for gaming) i3-8300.

@Crunchy Dragon

Overclocked, a Ryzen 5 1600 could definitely pull ahead of the i3. I overclocked mine to 3.7Ghz with no problems at all. 4 cores is really all that's needed for gaming, but having the extra 2 is nice. When I'm not gaming, I can multitask a lot better with different programs that take up CPU power. Minecraft for example, I can let that run in the background while doing other normal things without experiencing any performance loss.

Plus, the upgrade path is a big reason that makes the 1600 a better buy. It also has better price/performance than pretty much anything in its price range.

3 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

PSU is going to become a factor. You think it's going to last more than 18 months OC'ing your CPU?

Unless it's a crap unit, it'll handle more than 18 months with an overclock. I know a guy that's been running a 3770K at 4.4Ghz since it was new, the only thing he's changed in his rig so far has been the motherboard(broken socket) and GPU(his previous card got too old for him).

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Unless it's a crap unit, it'll handle more than 18 months with an overclock. I know a guy that's been running a 3770K at 4.4Ghz since it was new, the only thing he's changed in his rig so far has been the motherboard(broken socket) and GPU(his previous card got too old for him).

well that's what I was getting at - tell us what his PSU is exactly otherwise dont plan on OC'ing without having to dish out for that also - which would help the i3-8100 win.

still, if it were up for me i would go with i3-8100, more RAM all the way, cheap mobo with bluetooth dongle.

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse