i5 8400 or Ryzen 5 2600?

I'm going to build my first PC, and I'm considering the i5 8400 and Ryzen 5 2600, since my I'd have to share the computer with my dad and he do a lot of intensive CPU workload. Is it worth it to  trade a bit of gaming performance for raw CPU performance. Thanks in advanced :)

7 minutes ago, CoreCombat said:

I'm going to build my first PC, and I'm considering the i5 8400 and Ryzen 5 2600, since my I'd have to share the computer with my dad and he do a lot of intensive CPU workload. Is it worth it to  trade a bit of gaming performance for raw CPU performance. Thanks in advanced :)

That depends, what kind of budget are you aiming towards? Also what kind of tasks (programs) are we talking about when you say "intensive CPU workload"? Also what region are you located in, as that can heavily effect what is better available to you.

This should answer your question fairly well:

If tweaked properly, you actually don't lose gaming performance with the 2600 when compared to the 8400.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

• 2 years later...

In my experience with my r5 2600 i got no problem in multitasking.

Not overclocked 

3 hours ago, Robert08 said:

I've been using the Ryzen 5 2600, and I got no problem on both gaming and productivity purposes. However, I still not overclock it, I'm planning to reach it's maximum clock speed, which is 3.9Ghz, but my A320 motherboard don't have the ability to overclock a CPU, I wonder if a B450 chipset will do just fine?

B450 tomahawk max is imo the best priced b450 mb. Also the max version has out the box 3000 support so gain a small but significant upgrade path. 3700x or 3800x will be fine in this b450. Although for a 3900/3950, x570