KVM on OpenSuse Tumbleweed?

I wanted to get a KVM running on my existing OpenSuse Tumbleweed KDE plasma  5.13.3, kernel version 4.17.9-1-default

I have a HD5450 for the OpenSuse and I want my GTX1070 for the KVM, but I can't find anything about Tumbleweed having KVM support, I've seen Leap having KVM support.

I tried following those steps but I didn't even got passed the first step...

any help? or do I need to get OpenSuse Leap instead?

try starting with this https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

Try looking for more general KVM setup guides and not anything opensuse specific. The only things that would be specific to your distro are the steps to install packages. Everything else like setting up IOMMU groups is pretty distro agnostic and should work for you

yea, found something, I've done the basic stuff now and I have the VM manager (which I did have before, IDK why)

but now I run in the issue that it can't connect "Hypervision" failed to connect socket to '/run/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': no such directory found.

also when I try to install libvirt-bin I get the message "package 'libvirt-bin' not found".

it should be, how can I check? (I am very new to Linux, I've been windows user since I got a PC, so that's 3 years now)

and if it's off, how to I turn it on?

check for a running process

ps -ef | grep -i libvirtd

if you dont see anything its probably not running. try to start it with

service start libvirtd

or if you have systemd

systemctl start libvirtd.service

okay, thank you, I'll try it tommorow.

I have a dual boot for but it works and I have windows. I do still have a question though, can I use my already installed windows 10 for the KVM with GPU passthrough? and can I use a secondary complete drive for my steam library on the KVM?

KVM cant be installed on windows, its a linux module. There are hypervisors that can be used on windows, however i dont know how gpu passthrough works on those. 

if it is an entire hard drive and not just a partition on the same disk as linux, then yes you can also pass it through. you could even install the vm guest directly to it if you wanted.

I know windows can't do that, but I want my KVM to run windows, but my existing windows installation.

That's good, I'll test it in a few hours.

17 hours ago, ILikeBigTree said:

okay, thank you, I'll try it tommorow.

I have a dual boot for but it works and I have windows. I do still have a question though, can I use my already installed windows 10 for the KVM with GPU passthrough? and can I use a secondary complete drive for my steam library on the KVM?

You can pass the partition as an existing drive according to stackoverflow.   Alternatively, if you have the space, I copied my windows partition to a .img file, then used qemu-img to convert that to a qcow2 file.  I then used qcow2 image for the vm and expanded my Linux partition to fill out my entire hard drive