How many years would this last?

uReqt

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£311.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£183.07 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£155.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£54.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card  (£560.03 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.27 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£87.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1612.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-29 23:37 BST+0100

I'm hoping 5 years without OC but I brought the board to OC if needed through out the years.  

If there's a better Mobo within the same price range which would be better in performance without OC for a little then tell me :) Thanks

Current PC

CPU: I5-7400

GPU: Gigabyte 1050Ti

RAM: Crucial DDR4 8GB 2133mhz

CASE: GameMax Falcon

MOBO: Prime B250M-A

Peripherals                                                                

Mouse: Corsair Sabre

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe

Mic/headphone: Blue Yeti /w JVC HA-SR50X

Mouse Mat: Razer Goliathus

Should be able to get 5 years out of the motherboard, RAM, and CPU, HDD, SSD, and PSU, however its though to say how long a GPU will stay relevant.

depends on what you're planning to do with it but yeah 5 to 7 years maybe

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I would argue that buying the i7-8700K to OC later isn't worth while and it may not even usefully extend its life far. Most people get it to around 5.0-5.1GHz, which is less than 10% better performance.

Will it last a while? Probably. But that really depends on how your requirements change over the next few years. Who knows? Maybe you demand more performance sooner than later.

@M.Yurizaki I have played on a budget pc my whole life. I don't care if after say 4 years I can no longer run Ultra but Mid-high 144hz 1080p. And for the i7-8700k I am purchasing it as a safeguard if I need it I can use the OC feature, but If I buy it and then need it say in a year after buying it then I would have to then go buy another.

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

Depends on your workload. If you gaming and video editing than I will say 10 years for the next upgrade. 

-Moved to New Builds and Planning-

I would say 5 years before the GPU won't manage 1080p144, maybe 10 years minimum for the rest of the system.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

@Crunchy Dragon I have no problem upgrading the GPU after like 3-4 years but will the rest of the system still do Ultra with a new GPU after the 4-5 years?

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

26 minutes ago, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon I have no problem upgrading the GPU after like 3-4 years but will the rest of the system still do Ultra with a new GPU after the 4-5 years?

Most likely.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

@Crunchy Dragon Cheers, also to the mods that keep moving the posts srry I get confused where to place them :)

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

Just now, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon Cheers, also to the mods that keep moving the posts srry I get confused where to place them :)

Just think about what your post is about and look through our subforums to find the subforum that best suits it, we'll move it if necessary. :)

@Crunchy Dragon Cheers again.

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

Nice Build!  Later down the road, you may need to play AAA games at lower settings.. no big deal

@Crunchy Dragon If I go with a 8600k and 1080ti will it be better (Future proof) and will I gain around the same performance?

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

Just now, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon If I go with a 8600k and 1080ti will it be better (Future proof) and will I gain around the same performance?

8700K would be better for longevity. This is because a) it's the best CPU for gaming at this moment in time. b) has 6 more threads, will last longer as games get more demanding and require more threads.

You might get roughly the same performance if you overclocked the 8600K, but I'm not 100% sure. For a "future proof" rig, you generally want the highest end hardware since that has the highest chance of lasting the longest before going obsolete.

@Crunchy Dragon I decided to go with a 1080ti and i7-8700k. Can I keep it on 1080p or do I have to go to 1440p (Without bottleneck)

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

Just now, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon I decided to go with a 1080ti and i7-8700k. Can I keep it on 1080p or do I have to go to 1440p (Without bottleneck)

You can stay on 1080p, no problem.

@Crunchy Dragon Sweet it's just an 100 pound difference between 1080 and the Ti version I thought why not! :)

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

@Crunchy Dragon To reach 144hz do I need a DVI cable or is it HDMI?

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

1 minute ago, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon To reach 144hz do I need a DVI cable or is it HDMI?

Dual Link DVI will support 144Hz, HDMI 2.0 will support 144Hz, and DisplayPort 1.4 will support 144Hz.

@Crunchy Dragon Well thank you very much. I have one last question with the Motherboard provided here : Is that a good choose? and will this run all fine STOCK ?

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GHcbCb
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/GHcbCb/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  (£311.00 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Strix Z370-H Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£163.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£155.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£54.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card  (£596.94 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.78 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£87.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £1630.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-30 01:20 BST+0100

Current PC

Peripherals                                                                

2 minutes ago, uReqt said:

@Crunchy Dragon Well thank you very much. I have one last question with the Motherboard provided here : Is that a good choose?

Yes.

@Crunchy Dragon Thank you for all your help.

Current PC

Peripherals