Welcoming Recommendations (Nic)

Altruist

I've ordered my PC parts, except my Psu and I've found notice my motherboard doesn't naively support a wireless connection.

I was hoping the kind and helpful people of this forum would.

i would heavily prefer an internal solutions at £20(-+£5)

If you will be linking items, please attempt to link uk sites 

I may be wrong.

run a cable if you are doing anything but basic web browsing. for extended gaming, heavy downloading or anything like that you are going to have a bad time. the only recomendation i can give is to find something with a heatsink and thats dual band

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

run a cable if you are doing anything but basic web browsing. for extended gaming, heavy downloading or anything like that you are going to have a bad time. the only recomendation i can give is to find something with a heatsink and thats dual band

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN881ND-Wireless-Express-Antennas/dp/B006BSPTAQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1532772025&sr=8-3&keywords=wireless%2Bnic&th=1

Thoughts? 

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

wouldnt recomend it, looks a bit like the Toilet Paper link adapter that made me utterly hate and ditest wifi because it overheated, was unreliable and had shity reception. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

wouldnt recomend it, looks a bit like the Toilet Paper link adapter that made me utterly hate and ditest wifi because it overheated, was unreliable and had shity reception. 

Should i just an external solution?

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

Should i just an external solution?

the internal cards are better than the USB ones generally, but you should really do a power line adapter or a cable run from the router because its really worth skipping the absolute hell WiFi is for a gaming system in my experience

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the internal cards are better than the USB ones generally, but you should really do a power line adapter or a cable run from the router because its really worth skipping the absolute hell WiFi is for a gaming system in my experience

Neither of possible due to lack of outlets and my bedroom makes running cable a pain in the ass, i have an unconfirmed moving date.

This may surprise but I've never used a wired connection, WiFi has always done me well.

my wifi in on my awful 200 pound Pre-Bulit PC works perfectly for gaming it cant handle above 30mbs by general testing.

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

Neither of possible due to lack of outlets and my bedroom makes running cable a pain in the ass, i have an unconfirmed moving date.

This may surprise but I've never used a wired connection, WiFi has always done me well.

my wifi in on my awful 200 pound Pre-Bulit PC works perfectly for gaming it cant handle above 30mbs by general testing.

use extention cords if you lack outlets, you can bring powerline adapters with you to the new place :) if you insist on wifi however, then look if you can find something with a heatsink and that preferably is dual band

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

use extention cords if you lack outlets, you can bring powerline adapters with you to the new place :) if you insist on wifi however, then look if you can find something with a heatsink and that preferably is dual band

don't some extension cords confuse the signal as white noise?

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

don't some extension cords confuse the signal as white noise?

then you can just plug the powerline adapter into the real outlet and plug everything else into the extention. some powerline adapters even have an outlet passthrough so you can plug in the extention into the powerline adapter

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

then you can just plug the powerline adapter into the real outlet and plug everything else into the extention. some powerline adapters even have an outlet passthrough so you can plug in the extention into the powerline adapter

This entire confusion seems like your a pro-wire the reviews seem to say the nic works perfectly, doees you have grudge against wireless connects?

I just need know if it'll work at a 1/3 of the advertised speed without any bs?

I may be wrong.

Just now, Altruist said:

This entire confusion seems like your a pro-wire the reviews seem to say the nic works perfectly, doees you have grudge against wireless connects?

I just need know if it'll work at a 1/3 of the advertised speed without any bs?

Also i dont have much money to spend £20 tops so pla are way out of my budgets

I may be wrong.

Personally I'd be looking for something that is 802.11ac not 802.11n.  Ideally with external antenna so you cat sit them on top of your PC so they aren't being blocked by the case. (these tend to be quite overpriced so you might have to pick up the antenna separate)

I'd also be curious what router you have, because if it only supports 2.4Ghz then you aren't likely to have a good time as in most places that band is completely congested.

I'm also puzzled why you say powerline isn't an option due to lack of outlets, considering many powerline adapters have a passthrough port so don't take up any extra outlets.

You absolutely COULD use a USB adapter, but you asked for recommendations so we are trying to give you something optimal for the money that you won't need to replace in a year or two if you get faster broadband.

Bluetooth USB adapters are dirt cheap so I wouldn't bother worrying about that as a feature, especially as the adapter you pointed out wastes two internal USB ports on your motherboard to do it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Personally I'd be looking for something that is 802.11ac not 802.11n.  Ideally with external antenna so you cat sit them on top of your PC so they aren't being blocked by the case. (these tend to be quite overpriced so you might have to pick up the antenna separate)

I'd also be curious what router you have, because if it only supports 2.4Ghz then you aren't likely to have a good time as in most places that band is completely congested.

I'm also puzzled why you say powerline isn't an option due to lack of outlets, considering many powerline adapters have a passthrough port so don't take up any extra outlets.

You absolutely COULD use a USB adapter, but you asked for recommendations so we are trying to give you something optimal for the money that you won't need to replace in a year or two if you get faster broadband.

Bluetooth USB adapters are dirt cheap so I wouldn't bother worrying about that as a feature, especially as the adapter you pointed out wastes two internal USB ports on your motherboard to do it.

The antennas will face the left side of my room which is below my router, which supports both bands. Power line adapters are out of my budget, also i'd highly prefer an internal soultion 2 internal usb ports? i didnt see can you screenshot where i says that? i don't think my mobo has 2 spare.

I may be wrong.

12 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

802.11ac seems usless with my 200mbs broadband, but it may have other features that i may not be aware about.

I may be wrong.

13 hours ago, Altruist said:

802.11ac seems usless with my 200mbs broadband, but it may have other features that i may not be aware about.

802.11n at 300Mbit (what people typically use) can have trouble hitting 200Mbit real-world usage.

There is also the fact that if you DO end up stuck sharing a channel with a neighbor, as there is more bandwidth available the chances of it dropping below your broadband speed is far less likely.  You can also use a smaller channel width so more likely to find a channel not sharing with anyone.

Basically newer technology = more efficient use of the WiFi spectrum, so even if you never max it out the performance is likely to be better.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

802.11n at 300Mbit (what people typically use) can have trouble hitting 200Mbit real-world usage.

There is also the fact that if you DO end up stuck sharing a channel with a neighbor, as there is more bandwidth available the chances of it dropping below your broadband speed is far less likely.  You can also use a smaller channel width so more likely to find a channel not sharing with anyone.

it's 200mbs from a router which is shared between multiply devices, I've never had a problems with my WiFi.

I may be wrong.

But you have no control over your neighbors, so it can degrade at any time.

Plus the faster the speed you have to start with, the further away you can get from the router before the speed drops below your broadband speed.

There is also the fact that the more spare capacity you have, the better the latency is likely to be.