Get GTX 1080Ti or Wait for GTX 1180?

So my GTX 780 is about to be giving up on me, the fans are making noises and it's overheating after about 4 years of use. I've gotten it in early 2014 and it's been a good run so far.

But I think the time's come and last night without even any gaming, the screen shuts off and I see the both fans stopped working (first it used to be one fan that stopped now both of them) so I shut down my PC and go to bed. 

This morning, they won't work again so I'd take it out and clean it up a bit, though, it's cleaned so there's not much to do there.

The fans do seem to be messed up from the inside or something, they're not buttery smooth to push and spin like they used to.

So I've made my mind to upgrade anyway, my usage of my PC is to 3D Model and Digitally Sculpt as well as gaming.

Should I go for GTX 1080Ti at the price point of 1.1k USD? (in our market here) or should I wait for a GTX 1180 that's rumored to be releasing next month?

Would appreciate your opinions/help on it!

If you can wait, then wait. Wait even longer you might be able to find cheap 1080Ti.

If you're really desperate though.... Well 1080Ti is still a beast card (for now).

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

5 hours ago, DimasRMDO said:

If you can wait, then wait. Wait even longer you might be able to find cheap 1080Ti.

If you're really desperate though.... Well 1080Ti is still a beast card (for now).

What do you suppose about people saying that 1180 won't be a huge step forward from 1080/Ti because NVIDIA doesn't have a good competition right now?

6 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

What do you suppose about people saying that 1180 won't be a huge step forward from 1080/Ti because NVIDIA doesn't have a good competition right now?

The issue is that it's still a rumor, it's not easy to say the performance of an unreleased product and without real world testing, drivers play a role too.

Looking at the "rumors", theoretically there's a step up over the Pascal architecture (if the rumors are true).

It's rumored that 1180 is going to be priced higher than 1080, again it's a rumor, it can be false too.

AMD mostly competes for price (for relatively good performance). Though AMD is still trying to keep up with NVIDIA's top tier card performance.

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

7 hours ago, DimasRMDO said:

The issue is that it's still a rumor, it's not easy to say the performance of an unreleased product and without real world testing, drivers play a role too.

Looking at the "rumors", theoretically there's a step up over the Pascal architecture (if the rumors are true).

It's rumored that 1180 is going to be priced higher than 1080, again it's a rumor, it can be false too.

AMD mostly competes for price (for relatively good performance). Though AMD is still trying to keep up with NVIDIA's top tier card performance.

So for the last question, if I were to go with a 1080Ti right now. How long do you think I'd find it suffice?

Here's my needs exactly :
I don't care much about playing games on ultra, right now I'm fine with playing on my 780 that handles games at about Mid-High  settings and I dont mind that at all.

I dont have a 4K monitor and I dont intend to go there. Because my focus is on 3D Modeling, I'm thinking of getting a 1440p Dell's Ultrasharp instead.

So for the 3D work and me playing games at 1080/1440p at max, what do you think?

33 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

snip

Depends on PC development (like software, games, etc.).

I've been using GTX 970 since release date (2014) using 1080p monitor and I still find it suffice until now.

I believe 1080Ti can withstand for 4+ years 1080p pretty easily. 1440p is still adequate for around that duration too.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

1 hour ago, DimasRMDO said:

Depends on PC development (like software, games, etc.).

I've been using GTX 970 since release date (2014) using 1080p monitor and I still find it suffice until now.

I believe 1080Ti can withstand for 4+ years 1080p pretty easily. 1440p is still adequate for around that duration too.

Alright, great! I'd try waiting around if I could. The reason I'm now getting a bit uneasy is because the monitor shuts down without me playing anything, by just regular uses such as watching YT or doing general surfing on the web. And after that happens, the PC shuts down so I'm thinking this card could give up any time and I may not be able to use the computer at all. If it does do that, then I'll be grabbing the 1080Ti because I'd have no choice.

Otherwise I'll use my onboard video card to try and wait around for a month or two.

Thanks for your answers! They do help.

6 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Alright, great! I'd try waiting around if I could. The reason I'm now getting a bit uneasy is because the monitor shuts down without me playing anything, by just regular uses such as watching YT or doing general surfing on the web. And after that happens, the PC shuts down so I'm thinking this card could give up any time and I may not be able to use the computer at all. If it does do that, then I'll be grabbing the 1080Ti because I'd have no choice.

Otherwise I'll use my onboard video card to try and wait around for a month or two.

Thanks for your answers! They do help.

I don't think you'd have trouble with a 1080Ti for a long time under regular or gaming use unless you were trying an outlandish setup like multiple 4K monitors acting as a single display and expecting everything to run at 144+ frames per second.  I agree though, wait if you can since the price might go down on the 1080Ti after the 11 series launches.

The only issues I run into with my 1080Ti are badly optimized games...Gears of War 4 still doesn't run at full speed with all the settings turned on...have to set things up just right.

The downside is that it feels like a waste when you play an indie title like Stardew Valley on your expensive video card even when you're having fun.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

I don't think you'd have trouble with a 1080Ti for a long time under regular or gaming use unless you were trying an outlandish setup like multiple 4K monitors acting as a single display and expecting everything to run at 144+ frames per second.

Haha, I'd definitely not do that! I'll have my focus on a bit of Siege and I did think about grabbing a Zowie gaming monitor to go for 144Hz but seeing as how 3D is more of my priority than gaming, I decided to instead try and invest for a Dell Ultrasharp next and keep my gaming to minimum during the next 2-3 years.

So I will play graphics intense games like the upcoming Metro/Division 2 and more to come, but I'd definitely not go 4k for them. And at current time, I only play R6 Siege with Mid-High settings even though my card could handle more, there are some benefits to the low settings in this game.

Thanks for reassuring, my doubts get the best of me and they have made me make some bad decisions in the past and so I wanted to clarify everything with experts in here. It's always been a great experience to have talked about any future upgrading plans on here.

2 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

Haha, I'd definitely not do that! I'll have my focus on a bit of Siege and I did think about grabbing a Zowie gaming monitor to go for 144Hz but seeing as how 3D is more of my priority than gaming, I decided to instead try and invest for a Dell Ultrasharp next and keep my gaming to minimum during the next 2-3 years.

So I will play graphics intense games like the upcoming Metro/Division 2 and more to come, but I'd definitely not go 4k for them. And at current time, I only play R6 Siege with Mid-High settings even though my card could handle more, there are some benefits to the low settings in this game.

Thanks for reassuring, my doubts get the best of me and they have made me make some bad decisions in the past and so I wanted to clarify everything with experts in here. It's always been a great experience to have talked about any future upgrading plans on here.

Only other thing is make sure your case can fit whatever card you get and that your PSU is enough to support it.  Likely no worries on the PSU since you have a 780 now and the 1080 I think only uses a bit more, but worth verifying.

Btw, to add one more question, if I was to go for a 1080Ti, should I go with an ASUS STRIX OC edition or Zotac AMP! Extreme edition?

ZOTAC one is a bit cheaper than ASUS.

Zotac : 1071 USD

ASUS : 1155 USD

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Only other thing is make sure your case can fit whatever card you get and that your PSU is enough to support it.  Likely no worries on the PSU since you have a 780 now and the 1080 I think only uses a bit more, but worth verifying.

I have upgraded my PSU from a CX600W to an RM850x just last time as I upgraded my CPU and RAM and my Motherboard.

Also my case does look like it'd support the size of a 1080Ti, I've had the extra HDD cases removed so there's plenty of room for a wide card.

4 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

I have upgraded my PSU from a CX600W to an RM850x just last time as I upgraded my CPU and RAM and my Motherboard.

Also my case does look like it'd support the size of a 1080Ti, I've had the extra HDD cases removed so there's plenty of room for a wide card.

Hah, that's the same PSU I have and it's overkill for a 1080Ti.  You'll be fine.

1.1k for 1080TI they are already $540 used on US Ebay when GTX 1180 comes out they will drop to $400 range. Pascal resell value is gonna be lowest because millions and millions of cards was bought by miners and gamers.

20 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

Lol the only lack of good competition is AMD doesn't put out a retardedly priced unnecessarily powered card for rich kids whose mommies pay for everything. Price:Performance AMD still kicks their ass out of the fucking solar system and for the most part always has.

__             __
   .-'.'     .-.     '.'-.
 .'.((      ( ^ `>     )).'.
/`'- \'._____\ (_____.'/ -'`\
|-''`.'------' '------'.`''-|
|.-'`.'.'.`/ | | \`.'.'.`'-.|
 \ .' . /  | | | |  \ . '. /
  '._. :  _|_| |_|_  : ._.'
     ````` /T"Y"T\ `````
          / | | | \
         `'`'`'`'`'`

24 minutes ago, Jaggsta said:

1.1k for 1080TI they are already $540 used on US Ebay when GTX 1180 comes out they will drop to $400 range. Pascal resell value is gonna be lowest because millions and millions of cards was bought by miners and gamers.

I know and that's what bugs me, I'm right now in a position where my GPU could just die at any second and that'd stop my studies for as long as I gotta wait for the new series.

If only I wasn't living here, I'd have gotten the card at a cheaper cost. I know that it's not at all that expensive in other parts of the world but there's nothing I could do about it, if I have them ship one through USA, the customs would fuck me up still. But I'll check what I could do about it.

I have 980, and I'm definitely going to wait for the 1180. Waiting 1 or 1.5 month for it is worth it imo. 

8 minutes ago, Satish Suthar said:

I know and that's what bugs me, I'm right now in a position where my GPU could just die at any second and that'd stop my studies for as long as I gotta wait for the new series.

If only I wasn't living here, I'd have gotten the card at a cheaper cost. I know that it's not at all that expensive in other parts of the world but there's nothing I could do about it, if I have them ship one through USA, the customs would fuck me up still. But I'll check what I could do about it.

can always use integrated GPU from CPU unless using AMD to get you by for few months.

3 hours ago, Satish Suthar said:

I can run siege at max settings full AA at 144 a 1080p on by 1070ti just fine