Hard drive not showing up.

Defunct Lizard
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
37 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I was able to partition the one that is 2 terabytes, but the other one that was 4, failed to partition. I booted windows back up to see if it worked, and sure enough it showed up as a 2 terabyte drive.

When you partitioned it, did you use MBR which has a limit of 2TB? Make sure you are using GPT instead.

I am just installing windows on a new PC with another hard drive besides the boot SSD, I have done this before, but forgot how to do it, how do I partition it so that I can have it show up as a drive?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It should show up as a drive regardless of partitioning, shouldn't it?

for some reason it doesn't show up as a drive!

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Just now, floppy disk mayhem said:

for some reason it doesn't show up as a drive!

In the BIOS, in Windows, or not at all?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Sounds like quite a pickle, are you using any adapters for the SATA power? Or is the drive plugged into the wrong SATA port?

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In the BIOS, in Windows, or not at all?

I checked and it's not showing up in the bios! I tried re plugging it back in and restarting it.

1 minute ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I checked and it's not showing up in the bios! I tried re plugging it back in and restarting it.

Try different SATA ports.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

helpful advice, let me try other things.

15 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I tried changing sata cables and ports, but nothing showed up in windows or the BIOS!

1 minute ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I tried changing sata cables and ports, but nothing showed up in windows or the BIOS!

Drive might be dead. Will it detect in other systems(if you any available to test)?

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Drive might be dead. Will it detect in other systems(if you any available to test)?

Let me check with my computer.

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I booted up the windows 10 installer from a flash drive, and it showed up! it showed up as 2 un-allocated spaces? I was able to partition the one that is 2 terabytes, but the other one that was 4, failed to partition. I booted windows back up to see if it worked, and sure enough it showed up as a 2 terabyte drive. is part of the drive broken? what has happened? 

Just now, floppy disk mayhem said:

I booted up the windows 10 installer from a flash drive, and it showed up! it showed up as 2 un-allocated spaces? I was able to partition the one that is 2 terabytes, but the other one that was 4, failed to partition. I booted windows back up to see if it worked, and sure enough it showed up as a 2 terabyte drive. is part of the drive broken? what has happened? 

I'm honestly clueless, I've never heard of or encountered this kind of problem before.

37 minutes ago, floppy disk mayhem said:

I was able to partition the one that is 2 terabytes, but the other one that was 4, failed to partition. I booted windows back up to see if it worked, and sure enough it showed up as a 2 terabyte drive.

When you partitioned it, did you use MBR which has a limit of 2TB? Make sure you are using GPT instead.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 hours ago, Spotty said:

I found this out a while ago, and fixed it by turning it to GPT. thanks anyway!