AMD CPU: Athlon vs Phenom

What's the difference between the Athlon and Phenom CPU?

And would a FX 4100 be better than either of them?

Project Drogon

• Intel 4670k, MSI GTX 780, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, G.SKiLL Ripjaws 8GB, Kingston V300 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Modular, Corsair Air Series 540 Cube, Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Athlon is newer, Phenom is "ancient". Depends which Athlon it is. An Athlon II X4 760K is about equivalent to a FX-4130

Looking for a budget CPU ~$80.

Was looking at Athlon 750k, FX 4100, and Some APUs.

Also saw the Phenom and wanted to check.

Project Drogon

• Intel 4670k, MSI GTX 780, MSI Z87-G43 Gaming, G.SKiLL Ripjaws 8GB, Kingston V300 120GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, EVGA SuperNova 750W 80+ Gold Modular, Corsair Air Series 540 Cube, Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Older=Cheaper 

So... if your really on that budget, phenom might be for you

Diamond 5 in League :)

Older=Cheaper 

So... if your really on that budget, phenom might be for you

Well the best Phenom is $95 and the best  Athlon is $80.

Project Drogon

Phenom ii x4 965 has good oc capability and it doesn't run so hot. Athon it good as well, I get  a better bench in Heaven Bench with the Phenom than the Athlon :') up to you

How does that chart even show why the OP should get an Athlon? It's nowhere on that damn chart!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D