GTX 1070 Hybrid Conversion Question?

Magikarpdrowned

Hi

This is a bit of an odd post. I've been offered a hybrid GTX 1070 that's essentially useless solely due to the fact that the water pump on it keeps failing thereby forcing the card to shut off to prevent overheating and subsequent damage. I really want to take the seller up on their offer (they are a close friend and dependable colleague, I know he is telling the truth about the source of the issue,) and due to buying a new card he's selling this old one for pennies on the dollar.

Here's where my question comes in. It's a standard EVGA Hybrid 1070 card (https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08g-p4-6278-kr) so would I be able to purchase a used heatsink for an EVGA 1070 FTW card and swap out the hybrid cooling component of the card with an air cooled heatsink? I'm presuming that the cards have the same PCBs so it should be no issue, but I don't want to buy the card if it turns out this can't be done.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Yeah can find factory heatsinks off ebay sometimes or can go with aftermarket one like Arctic. Personally GTX 1070 is 2 years old and already under $300 used on ebay unless getting good deal wait for GTX 1170

If there a good friend, they should let you install the new heat sync and install it and see if it works. If it works you buy the GPU, if it fails then you only take a loss on the heat sync. Sure he is a good friend, but you shouldn't just outright buy something that's broke.

7 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

If there a good friend, they should let you install the new heat sync and install it and see if it works. If it works you buy the GPU, if it fails then you only take a loss on the heat sync. Sure he is a good friend, but you shouldn't just outright buy something that's broke.

cooler gonna run him like $50 unless he gets card for under $200 not worth.

probably. i have swapped out the air cooled heatsink on my card with the hybrid block with no major issues. 

1 minute ago, Jaggsta said:

cooler gonna run him like $50 unless he gets card for under $200 not worth.

You can find it cheaper on Ebay, but yeah if the card doesn't work it will be around a $30 loss from what I've seen, and that's only if the friends is selling it for $270 or less (factoring in the $30 for the heatsink), and even then, he's only matching current Ebay prices of around $300.

8 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

You can find it cheaper on Ebay, but yeah if the card doesn't work it will be around a $30 loss from what I've seen, and that's only if the friends is selling it for $270 or less (factoring in the $30 for the heatsink), and even then, he's only matching current Ebay prices of around $300.

My friend is selling it for the price of shipping, so at most I'm out $20.

1 minute ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

My friend is selling it for the price of shipping, so at most I'm out $20.

Well shit, if your paying only shipping and theres a chance the card will work, I would go for it. The gamble would be well worth it. (though with ever gamble, you can still lose)

3 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Well shit, if your paying only shipping and theres a chance the card will work, I would go for it. The gamble would be well worth it. (though with ever gamble, you can still lose)

Absolutely, that's why I'm considering it! I'm having trouble with finding the heatsinks though :| . eBay has left me SOL.

5 minutes ago, Magikarpdrowned said:

Absolutely, that's why I'm considering it! I'm having trouble with finding the heatsinks though :| . eBay has left me SOL.

Don't forget to check the classifieds on here, I see heatsinks pop up here and there, and you could always put out a WTB (want to buy) thread in the classifieds as well.

49 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

FTW uses large custom PCB the founders edition is SC cards people will want more for FTW coolers