Bios reflash without usb reprogrammer

Hello! I have an old Asus P5QL-E Lga 775 motherboard that i suspect having a corrupt bios.It is in kind of a rough state, so im not 100% sure that it's a BIOS problem, but all the symptoms seem to indicate that it is and I was wondering if there is a way to flash the chip without using an usb programming tool...

It's not very difficult to flash BIOS with an external tool, to be quite frank. (At least, if you have the BIOS-chip that can just be popped out of the motherboard -- the soldered-on ones require a bit more work.) I've done it myself many times, so I would know.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

i bought a chip flasher a couple of years ago, and it's surprisingly easy to do. 

that said, you still need the chip writer, etc.

with a known good cpu, video card, and at least 1 stick of RAM in it... will it POST enough to get into the BIOS ?

Edited by tzxazrael
corrections

9 minutes ago, tzxazrael said:

that said, a quick google suggests it's very unlikely your bios isn't soldered on.

It's not soldered. A quick google-search for images of the board shows very clearly that the BIOS is a simple 8-pin package (this type of package is called a DIP-8) sitting in a socket, as is pretty common, just over the first PCI-slot and below the last PCI-Ex1 slot.

asus-p5ql-e.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

@WereCatf well dang, you sure found a much better quality image than i was able to :D

*previous post corrected*

Ok. Then, What programmer to get? I found a pretty cheap one( Ch341A USB Programmer) but someone commented and said it works at 5 volts. My chip requires 3.3v to function.. 

Okay, after reflashing the bios twice... The board still doesn't post... I don't wana give up now, i still see some life in this board. This is the current state that it is at. Idk if the CPU is also dead, cus i wanted to resurrect this board in order to test the chip, so that might be a problem ; Memory, i have 2 1GB dimms from Kingston, they do seem like some caps fell of them, but memtest says they are good. Have you guys got any suggestions as to what to try next?

IMG_20180724_225448.jpg

IMG_20180724_230826.jpg

put the cpu into a different "known good" board, with "known good" ram.

if the cpu works, move this ram over to the "known good" board.

if the cpu and ram work... the board is probably toast.

if one or both of those are dead, try another cpu and/or ram in this board.

basically, swap different things around with ones you KNOW work, to confirm which piece(s) are actually dead.