windows won't let me wipe old hdd

OopsThatIsMine
8 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Data erasure (sometimes referred to as data clearing or data wiping) is a software-based method of overwriting the data that aims to completely destroy all electronic data residingon a hard disk drive or other digital media by using zeros and ones to overwrite data onto all sectors of the device. By overwriting the data on the storage device, the data is rendered unrecoverable and achieves data sanitization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

if it's Software based erasure then it is not overwriting your hard disk drive, lmao 

all it does is mark the parition and clean it is just like diskpart does with the "clean" option

6 minutes ago, Redicat said:

if it's Software based erasure then it is not overwriting your hard disk drive, lmao 

So are you saying that DBAN isn't a software now?

All DBAN does is delete everything on your drive and overwrite it.

Also it's the disk platter spinning that causes wear.So your PC being on is causing the same amount of harm as DBAN

My life

7 minutes ago, Himommies said:

So are you saying that DBAN isn't a software now?

All DBAN does is delete everything on your drive and overwrite it.

Also it's the disk platter spinning that causes wear.So your PC being on is causing the same amount of harm as DBAN

"Data erasure (sometimes referred to as data clearing or data wiping) is a software-based method of overwriting the data that aims to completely destroy all electronic data residingon a hard disk drive or other digital media by using zeros and ones to overwrite data onto all sectors of the device. By overwriting the data on the storage device, the data is rendered unrecoverable and achieves data sanitization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure"

0 & 1s lol you say your Hard Drive is gonna mark a 1 to it's drive WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING AT ALL

"software-based method" loool yes in that case DBAN is not software but a combination of hardware and software.

Wikipedia is faf  (fake af)

a "1" on a Hard Disk Drive must always be mechanically written with a write header (Hardware)

2 minutes ago, Redicat said:

snip

Let me give you a rundown of how a HDD works as read and write cycles only apply to a SSD.

HDD's have a magnetic platter inside that is spinning.This is constantly spinning at 7200 RPM or 5400 or whatever.This does not spin faster when your overwriting data at a massive scale.It literally has the same effect as just leaving your PC on.This is why SSD read/write cycles are measure in say 1TBW whereas HDD's are measure in years.

My life

Let me give you a rundown of how a HDD works as read and write cycles only apply to a SSD.

HDD's have a magnetic platter inside that is spinning.This is constantly spinning at 7200 RPM or 5400 or whatever.This does not spin faster when your overwriting data at a massive scale.It literally has the same effect as just leaving your PC on.This is why SSD read/write cycles are measure in say 1TBW whereas HDD's are measure in years.

When you write 0s and 1s the ONLY WAY to do that is doing it as Hardware, period. software based or DBAN quick format should only mark the spot 0  (for the os) or nuke the file system or just simply delete a file like you mention "marked as empty" 

2 minutes ago, Redicat said:

When you write 0s and 1s the ONLY WAY to do that is doing it as Hardware, period. software based or DBAN quick format should only mark the spot 0  (for the os) or nuke the file system or just simply delete a file like you mention "marked as empty" 

The wear and tear on hard drives is the disk spinning.Dban is not making the disk spin faster

My life

The wear and tear on hard drives is the disk spinning.Dban is not making the disk spin faster

Ever heard of Physics aka Momentum of Electrons? it is gonna fuck the drive up completely and make a bad sector(s) ur wear and tear on the read and write heads aswell it is all Mechanical 

If you just would of said just Quick Erase it then YES it is HARMLESS to the Hard Disk Drive...

Most OS like Microsoft have a build in feature that disables the Hard Drive when not in use + the smart hard disk drives like WD Green have it build in energy saving features

5 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Ever heard of Physics aka Momentum of Electrons? it is gonna fuck the drive up completely and make a bad sector(s) ur wear and tear on the read and write heads aswell it is all Mechanical 

If you just would of said just Quick Erase it then YES it is HARMLESS to the Hard Disk Drive...

Most OS like Microsoft have a build in feature that disables the Hard Drive when not in use + the smart hard disk drives like WD Green have it build in energy saving features

Dban does not change anything physically.A electrical signal sent to the drive does not make it spin faster or slower.Unless you can give me a spurt saying that writing data to a drive causes it to spin faster then I'm just gonna ignore you.Also how are the the transfer of electrons supposed to harm a drive when the read/write head never touches the drive.Come back with a source pls

My life

Using something like DBAN will be more intensive on a HDD than using something like windows format utility. If you just wipe a disk once using DBAN quick erase, I don't see it significantly shortening it's life. It simply zeros the drive and off you go.

All that said, if the original poster only wants to format the drive and not securely wipe it...there are several other ways that would save time vs waiting for the drive to be overwritten with zeros. One is using freeDOS or Windows PE for format or in the case of Windows PE using diskpart. Another could be just booting into a linux distro on a USB flash drive and wipe the drive.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Redicat said:

NO NO NO not to an extend of what DBAN does at once it's gonna NUKE 3x over write ur HDD over 3 times full and that never happen in a long ass time 

9 hours ago, Himommies said:

No matter what method you use to delete data on a computer you are overwriting

The only way to completely erase a file with no trace is to overwrite the data. The operating system will eventually overwrite files that have no pointers in the directory tree structure, so the longer an unpointed file remains in the hard drive the greater the probability that it has been overwritten. There are also many "file erasing" software products currently on the market that will permanently erase files by overwriting them.

https://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Hardware_Software/Erasing_Deleted_Files.asp

Data erasure (sometimes referred to as data clearing or data wiping) is a software-based method of overwriting the data that aims to completely destroy all electronic data residingon a hard disk drive or other digital media by using zeros and ones to overwrite data onto all sectors of the device. By overwriting the data on the storage device, the data is rendered unrecoverable and achieves data sanitization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_erasure

I fixed it. DBAN didn't want to get burned to a disc and I don't have a USB drive atm, but I found an old Vista install disc that I didn't know I had. Thanks, both of you.

its called the solar system because our sun is called sol