Gaming/Productivity build for 1300€

Hey everyone! This is my second time building a pc and I wanted to know what you all think of my choice of parts. I mainly game, but I'm considering learning how to use game engines like Unreal engine 4 and pick up blender again. I know that intel is better for gaming and ryzen for multi-core, multi-threaded workloads. (Which im guessing you need for game engines and 3-d modelling etc.) My budget is 1300€ (including monitor), but i can stretch it to 1330€ if need be. I should also mention that im planning to play at 1080p 144hz.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/G9fjJ8

(Will be be tranfering 500w powersupply and ssd from previous build. Psu will be upgraded later.)

My intel cpu of choice would be the i5 8400, paired with the asus prime z370-A to match the colour scheme of the build and for an upgrade down the line. However depending on who you ask, ppl say the 2600x is better and others will say the 8400 is. However i could also reduce the ram to 8gb and get an i5 8600k. (Which is obviously a lot better in gaming, but means less ram and also the fact that it's not so good at 3-d modelling & game engines)

What are your thoughts on this?

P.s. i am open to other cpu suggestions

Honestly, the whole ryzen vs intel can be summed up as sword vs shield walking through tall grass. Intel focuses on a point by point bases while multi-processing falters a bit. Ryzen used a wider core range but doesnt fully go for that singular point. Its a matter of personal choice at this point. One thing to note is that the Zen 3 chipset (still under am4) is expected to come sometime next year. Intels next set likely around same timing.

This ram might not fit your build plans but has tighter timings at the same clock at a lower price.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZskwrH/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16gtzb

Also are you planning on overclocking heavily?

This monitor might save you some money as well which could go towards moving up to a ryzen 7. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/rY98TW/viewsonic-monitor-xg2401

Rawr.

Anyone know any builds that do 4k for $1600

9 minutes ago, ReidUzumaki said:

Anyone know any builds that do 4k for $1600

If you mean 144fps 144hz @ 4k on maximum settings in games ... we are not really even there yet. lol

Check your messages @ReidUzumaki

Rawr.

10 hours ago, Sernefarian said:

This ram might not fit your build plans but has tighter timings at the same clock at a lower price.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZskwrH/gskill-memory-f43000c15d16gtzb

Also are you planning on overclocking heavily?

Hmmm good point. I will be oc'cing my 1070ti to the lvl of a stock 1080. Would also consider oc'ing ram since i hear that ryzen likes high memory speeds. I'm not currently considering a heavy cpu oc since an aftermarket cooler isnt on my list atm. 

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I would push heavily for a Ryzen 7 2700(X) if you can, or see if there's any 1700(X) or 1800Xs for sale.

Ill try for a 2700(x). I found a 1800x for 240 recently, seems like a good deal..

This monitor might save you some money as well which could go towards moving up to a ryzen 7. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/rY98TW/viewsonic-monitor-xg2401

The msi g24c on otto.de is the same price and i think it has a va panel

9 hours ago, Zutoku said:

Hmmm good point. I will be oc'cing my 1070ti to the lvl of a stock 1080. Would also consider oc'ing ram since i hear that ryzen likes high memory speeds. I'm not currently considering a heavy cpu oc since an aftermarket cooler isnt on my list atm. 

Nvm pcpp chose the wrong ram, the one i want is cl16

IMG_20180721_211232.png

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I would push heavily for a Ryzen 7 2700(X) if you can, or see if there's any 1700(X) or 1800Xs for sale.

Also if i go ryzen 7 1700x/1800x wouldn't i have to use x370 instead of x470?

1 minute ago, Zutoku said:

Also if i go ryzen 7 1700x/1800x wouldn't i have to use x370 instead of x470?

No, you can use X470. X470 is just an update to the boards that includes out of the box compatibility for the Ryzen refresh.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

No, you can use X470. X470 is just an update to the boards that includes out of the box compatibility for the Ryzen refresh.

Ok good, also would you recommend dropping to 8gb ram for the 2700x? Or should i stay with 16gb and go for 1800x?

14 minutes ago, Zutoku said:

Ok good, also would you recommend dropping to 8gb ram for the 2700x? Or should i stay with 16gb and go for 1800x?

No, I'd get 16GB and the 1800X. You're going to need that extra RAM.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Zutoku said:

Hey everyone! This is my second time building a pc and I wanted to know what you all think of my choice of parts. I mainly game, but I'm considering learning how to use game engines like Unreal engine 4 and pick up blender again. I know that intel is better for gaming and ryzen for multi-core, multi-threaded workloads. (Which im guessing you need for game engines and 3-d modelling etc.) My budget is 1300€ (including monitor), but i can stretch it to 1330€ if need be. I should also mention that im planning to play at 1080p 144hz.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/G9fjJ8

(Will be be tranfering 500w powersupply and ssd from previous build. Psu will be upgraded later.)

My intel cpu of choice would be the i5 8400, paired with the asus prime z370-A to match the colour scheme of the build and for an upgrade down the line. However depending on who you ask, ppl say the 2600x is better and others will say the 8400 is. However i could also reduce the ram to 8gb and get an i5 8600k. (Which is obviously a lot better in gaming, but means less ram and also the fact that it's not so good at 3-d modelling & game engines)

What are your thoughts on this?

P.s. i am open to other cpu suggestions

On the intel side of things, what would you guys think of an i5 8600k, msi z370-A pro and a cryorig h7?

5 hours ago, Zutoku said:

On the intel side of things, what would you guys think of an i5 8600k, msi z370-A pro and a cryorig h7?

Please for the sake of your overclocks on  CPU go with a board with sturdier VRMs. Chances are the 3 Phase CPU VRM on that, which BTW is weaker than on some B360 boards, will hold back your ability to overclock CPU. The 3 Phase for VSOC ought to be sturdy enough for a nice stable RAM OC though.

At nearly the same pricepoint this baord has sturdier VRMs by a pretty large margin. IIRC that one is an interleaved 4 phase for CPU and a 3 phase for the VSOC. Though to be honest Asrock and MSI aren't known for having awesome BIOSes even when they put together rock solid boards.

Suggest, if noise isn't a huge concern, switching the fan on the H7 to a Scythe Slipstream to increase cooling. Should approximately double the CFM of the cooling fan which should result in approximately somewhere in the area of a 33% to 50% increase in cooling capability. Slipstream will increase cooler's fan noise from 25 Dba to 37 Dba but provide 110.3 CFM vs the stock 49.0 CFM.

Rawr.

16GB of RAM is gonna serve you fine. 32GB is where you'd wanna be for 3D software if you intend on adding particles/grooming/grass/RBD destruction/etc to your scenes. Rendering is completely multithreaded (but then again, blender's cycles can utilize GPU rendering and you're going to find it a lot faster with your 1070 than any cpu), but same cannot be said for other parts of the process. Considering how RAM speeds can be detrimental for ryzen builds, for each dimm slot you intend to populate intel should become the more attractive option as their cpus don't really care which RAM you're getting. The whole intel vs amd thing is about how much ram you need. I would advise getting cl14 3200mHz ram if you want to go ryzen.

16 minutes ago, just_bob said:

16GB of RAM is gonna serve you fine. 32GB is where you'd wanna be for 3D software. Rendering is completely multithreaded (but then again, blender's cycles can utilize GPU rendering and you're going to find it a lot faster with your 1070 than any cpu), but same cannot be said for other parts of the process. Considering how RAM speeds can be detrimental for ryzen builds, for each dimm slot you intend to populate intel should become the more attractive option as their cpus don't really care which RAM you're getting. The whole intel vs amd thing is about how much ram you need. I would advise getting cl14 3200mHz ram if you want to go ryzen.

The potential of those CL 14 B-Die kits is just beautiful, but I've heard that getting them to really shine is a bit spotty. Like there are fewer Gems among the common rabble with them. Maybe Samsung pushes the B-Dies hard from the start?

Anyways on a Ryzen build with a 2700X the difference between 2133HZ and 3200 Mhz on something like Cinebench can amount to as much as 150 points worth of score or more which is approximately equivalent to overclocking your CPU clock around 300-400 MHZ.

* disclaimer addendum!: If you already have a hefty OC on your CPU going the difference caused with the increased RAM speed will be quite a bit narrower potentially as small as only 20-60 on your cinebench score.

Edited by Sernefarian
More infos.

Rawr.

54 minutes ago, Sernefarian said:

The potential of those CL 14 B-Die kits is just beautiful, but I've heard that getting them to really shine is a bit spotty. Like there are fewer Gems among the common rabble with them. Maybe Samsung pushes the B-Dies hard from the start?

I haven't really tried those cl14 kits myself, but do intend on getting one in the near future (despite the fact I'll be going intel). Any chance you have a link with more info on this?

http://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/general-discussion/overclocking/amd-socket-am2-am3-am3-am4-str4/13505-flare-x-3200mhz-3814mhz-f4-3200c14d-16gfx

Person there managed to get a Flare X kit to 3600 13 13 13 13 34 52

Person here managed to get 3600 as well, but not sure on timings.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93722-Flare-X-3200MHZ-16GB-2x8-F4-3200C14D-16GFX-Performance-amp-Guide

This thread also has content on it them

http://ocxtreme.net/viewtopic.php?t=48

Edited by Sernefarian
MOAR LINKS! also typos! STUFFFFFFSSSS!

Rawr.

Please for the sake of your overclocks on  CPU go with a board with sturdier VRMs. Chances are the 3 Phase CPU VRM on that, which BTW is weaker than on some B360 boards, will hold back your ability to overclock CPU. The 3 Phase for VSOC ought to be sturdy enough for a nice stable RAM OC though.

At nearly the same pricepoint this baord has sturdier VRMs by a pretty large margin. IIRC that one is an interleaved 4 phase for CPU and a 3 phase for the VSOC. Though to be honest Asrock and MSI aren't known for having awesome BIOSes even when they put together rock solid boards.

Suggest, if noise isn't a huge concern, switching the fan on the H7 to a Scythe Slipstream to increase cooling. Should approximately double the CFM of the cooling fan which should result in approximately somewhere in the area of a 33% to 50% increase in cooling capability. Slipstream will increase cooler's fan noise from 25 Dba to 37 Dba but provide 110.3 CFM vs the stock 49.0 CFM.

der8auer managed to get 5.1Ghz on the i5 8600k with the msi. But i agree it isnt the best board, im just trying to cut costs where i can xD. Could you send me a link of your recomended mobo at that price?

5 hours ago, just_bob said:

16GB of RAM is gonna serve you fine. 32GB is where you'd wanna be for 3D software if you intend on adding particles/grooming/grass/RBD destruction/etc to your scenes. Rendering is completely multithreaded (but then again, blender's cycles can utilize GPU rendering and you're going to find it a lot faster with your 1070 than any cpu), but same cannot be said for other parts of the process. Considering how RAM speeds can be detrimental for ryzen builds, for each dimm slot you intend to populate intel should become the more attractive option as their cpus don't really care which RAM you're getting. The whole intel vs amd thing is about how much ram you need. I would advise getting cl14 3200mHz ram if you want to go ryzen.

I can try for cl14, but would cl15 be enough? 

11 minutes ago, Zutoku said:

der8auer managed to get 5.1Ghz on the i5 8600k with the msi. But i agree it isnt the best board, im just trying to cut costs where i can xD. Could you send me a link of your recomended mobo at that price?

How about the asus prime z370-p?

It's around the same price on websites im using (10€ more)

2 hours ago, Sernefarian said:

From what I have read for 3200 MHZ some of the CL 15 kits are B-Die here is a partial(?) list of B-Die kits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/62vp2g/clearing_up_any_samsung_bdie_confusion_eg_on/

Would it be worth it to go for 16gb 3000Mhz cl16 in order to afford a 2700x? I will mainly be gaming. The whole blender/game engine thing is just from time to time, not my priority. I can always upgrade later. Plus i will also be OC'ing the memory, 3200Mhz should definitely be achievable, ill try to push for 3400Mhz using the asus prime x370 pro. (Since ik for ryzen memory speeds help fps in games)

4 hours ago, Zutoku said:

I can try for cl14, but would cl15 be enough? 

Sure, but the whole point of getting cl14 3200mHz is to guarantee you get that B-die RAM which ryzen craves for overclocking. But as Sernefarian pointed out in his link, there are some slower B-die sticks aswell. 

3 hours ago, just_bob said:

Sure, but the whole point of getting cl14 3200mHz is to guarantee you get that B-die RAM which ryzen craves for overclocking. But as Sernefarian pointed out in his link, there are some slower B-die sticks aswell. 

Without the monitor I could spend 1080€ (1100€ if absolutely need be)

So far I have:

R7 2700x300€

Asus prime x370 pro 123€

Gtx 1070ti evga FTW 444€

Nzxt H500 80€

(Excluding psu & storage)

What ram would you recommend at my price point? Since cl14 is more pricy.

Or should I go cl14 with a r7 1800x?

The ram for my price point that I found is g.skill aegis 3000Mhz cl16 (slower, but I feel it's a good deal for 140€ and I can OC to 3200)

10 minutes ago, Zutoku said:

So far I have:

R7 2700x300€

Asus prime x370 pro 123€

Gtx 1070ti evga FTW 444€

Nzxt H500 80€

The ram for my price point that I found is g.skill aegis 3000Mhz cl16 (slower, but I feel it's a good deal for 140€ and I can OC to 3200)

1300 euro for a nvidia Gsync Build ? NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

The 1070TI + a decent 1080p 144hz alone gonna cost you 900 euro

My freesync build was over 1600 euro for the tower alone for (1080p 144hz / 4k60hz)

Let's agree to disagree

36 minutes ago, Zutoku said:

So far I have:

R7 2700x300€

Asus prime x370 pro 123€

Gtx 1070ti evga FTW 444€

Nzxt H500 80€

That RAM should be quite adequate and you might even be able to go higher than 3200 perhaps 3300 or 3333. just make sure you tighten the timings as much as keeps you stable. might make sense to Prime95 it to check stability of your RAM overclocks, I'd say if it manages to last 15-30 minutes it'll probably be stable for most other tasks though there are additional stress tests that can be used in tandem to provide a fuller stability picture.

Rawr.