4 gb ram installed but only 929mb usable

I have an  hp 2000-2106Tu with intel celeron B830 processor and a windows 7 32-bit OS. It had a 2gb ram intalled with 929mb usable so i thought of increasing it and got a 4gb 1333mgz ddr3 ram. When i intalled the 4gig ram i first took the 2gig one out which was 1600mgz (knowing 32 bit OS only supports upto 4gb ram). When i booted my pc and checked the computer properties it was showing

Installed memory 4gb

Usable 929mb.

I have no idea whats the problem. Please help.

I checked on hp's official website it shows that the notebook can support upto 8gb ram.

Screenshot_2018-07-19-17-06-58-249_com.android.browser.png

6 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Maybe motherboard doesn't support more than 929mb?

A laptop from 2011-2012 with a Sandy Bridge CPU should support 8GB no problem, and even up to 16, so that can't be it.

8 minutes ago, ZAIEM123 said:

Installed memory 4gb

Usable 929mb.

I have no idea whats the problem. Please help.

Go in your BIOS and set your integrated graphics to the minimum setting rather than the maximum, this will get you some memory back. Also check your msconfig advanced options and make sure Max Memory isn't set. It should be unticked. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I have already checked the misconfig and iys not that. The max memory is disabled.

Neliz seems on to sth. My GF had similar Issues with her Notebook. In her Case it was the BIOS Setting for Max.Graphics RAM. You should really check this.

Thanks for the answer but i have another problem with that. My laptops screen is busted and i can't get the BIOS on a external monitor.

Is it all detected in the BIOS with no DIMM slot errors showing up during POST? I was having similar issues recently installing RAM in a non-standard configuration in a Dell Precision machine, but it would always alert me that there was a DIMM failure before booting to the OS, where it would show "8GB installed, 3GB usable" or whatever. If you are getting those errors, try rearranging the DIMMs in different slots until something works.

• 2 weeks later...

It turned out that the BIOS was out of date so I updated it and now everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for your help....