Supermicro CSE-826 question

i found a good deal on a Supermicro CSE-826 chassis only problem is that it doesn't come with a MB and the parts that go with it cpu/ram .

from what i got from the seller via messages and images it has all 12 3.5 hdd caddies , all 3 fans and 1200w psu just 1 included . can have 2 . not sure if it came with it or a lower wattage was swapped out .

seller says it is a factory code of abc-03  i couldn't find any servers for the 826 with that code ? . its one of these correct  SC826E16-R1200LPB* , SC826E26-R1200LPB*, SC826A-R1200LPB

im correct the backplane on this should be SAS2 ive asked the seller but havent got a response yet . other question is i know with server chassis it says ATX form factor but is it true ATX or only a standard that there MB uses . i plan on putting in a consumer MB . does anyone know if it will boot with a non Supermicro MB like the psu wont turn on since i expect it to normally talk to the ipmi that would be on the board . i looked over the manual for this model and didnt see much on the re installation of the MB directions like if it uses standard 24 pin connector and eps pinouts . rather not buy a 40 pound paper weight if it would only work with a compatible  MB

https://i.imgur.com/2WO1rvp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/bzhGeTb.jpg

thanks

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

51 minutes ago, gamerking said:

im correct the backplane on this should be SAS2 ive asked the seller but havent got a response yet . other question is i know with server chassis it says ATX form factor but is it true ATX or only a standard that there MB uses .

Standard, the form factors are actually a specific standard and you can only list them on the spec sheet of the product if it meets them. Also as a general quick check if something supports standard equipment or not if the chassis has the cut out for a motherboard I/O shield then its most likely not a proprietary mounting design. Have a look at other ones where there is no cut for comparison.

I've got two SC825 chassis which is the same as the one you are looking at except 8 bays not 12 and can confirm it's all standard mounting, other than CPU cooler height of course.

I figured this might support EE-ATX boards, and turns out im just your guy. I looked up its listed compatible boards and some are EE-ATX, supermicro's proprietary form factor. I would look for boards like this. It may have mounting options available for standard boards as well as EE-ATX, im not an expert in this specific chassis. 

I made CADD drawings specifically for this proprietary form faction: 

I also built a system using dual e5-2670s and a EE-ATX super micro board (I modded a normal case) here:

The board and question can be purchased cheaply with e5-2670s on ebay, here is a motherboard listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-Super-Micro-X9DRL-3F-Dual-LGA2011-Working-Free-Shipping/382521789234?hash=item5910134b32%3Ag%3AEvsAAOSwojhbTo4K&_sacat=0&_nkw=Super+Micro+Computer+X9DR3-LN4F&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc

I didn't go deep into the specifics as im about to go to bed, please double check it supports EE-ATX form factor before purchasing, and if it does, it should drop right in. As the system is kinda niche im not so sure how accurate google results are!

EDIT: visually, the board looks like its meant to fit.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Trying to get a consumer board in it will likely give you issues. Companies like super-micro aren't going out of their way to ensure compatibility. I would build it in proper Supermicro fashion, or not at all so you don't get a paperweight (and I have a few expensive paperweights right now...). 

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Standard, the form factors are actually a specific standard and you can only list them on the spec sheet of the product if it meets them. Also as a general quick check if something supports standard equipment or not if the chassis has the cut out for a motherboard I/O shield then its most likely not a proprietary mounting design. Have a look at other ones where there is no cut of for comparison.

I've got two SC825 chassis which is the same as the one you are looking at except 8 bays not 12 and can confirm it's all standard mounting, other than CPU cooler height of course.

ok thanks @leadeater anything on the PSU is it standard atx pinout since thats my only other question then ,rather not made a full system of parts go poof with the magic smoke. for the cpu i know ill need a 2u cooler or the stock one if its short enough .i saw the funny IO layout when i was searching for which version of this model it was .

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I figured this might support EE-ATX boards, and turns out im just your guy. I looked up its listed compatible boards and some are EE-ATX, supermicro's proprietary form factor. I would look for boards like this.

I made CADD drawings specifically for this board: 

I also built a system using dual e5-2670s and a EE-ATX super micro board (I modded a normal case) here:

The board and question can be purchased cheaply with e5-2670s on ebay, here is a motherboard listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-Super-Micro-X9DRL-3F-Dual-LGA2011-Working-Free-Shipping/382521789234?hash=item5910134b32%3Ag%3AEvsAAOSwojhbTo4K&_sacat=0&_nkw=Super+Micro+Computer+X9DR3-LN4F&LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&rt=nc

I didn't go deep into the specifics as im about to go to bed, please double check it supports EE-ATX form factor before purchasing, and if it does, it should drop right in. As the system is kinda niche im not so sure how accurate google results are!

EDIT: visually, the board looks like its meant to fit.

thats about 10x what im paying for the chassis . i dont mind having to install new standoff locations . rather not deal with EE-ATX i had that in my other server case it was a nightmare . wanted to keep this build cheap .my plan is offline backup storage (not off-site) for it so really only thing that needs to cost alot are the 8-10tb drives .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

13 minutes ago, gamerking said:

ok thanks @leadeater anything on the PSU is it standard atx pinout since thats my only other question then ,rather not made a full system of parts go poof with the magic smoke. for the cpu i know ill need a 2u cooler or the stock one if its short enough .i saw the funny IO layout when i was searching for which version of this model it was .

The one I have is much lower spec PSU, if it's got dual EPS CPU plugs and a 24 pin it'll work. I'm putting Intel S5520HC motherboards in mine which originally are designed for workstation/tower chassis.

Supermicro doesn't go too custom for most things, like the PSU, unlike HP for example but it always pays to check as they do have non standard stuff as well.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

The one I have is much lower spec PSU, if it's got dual EPS CPU plugs and a 24 pin it'll work. I'm putting Intel S5520HC motherboards in mine which originally are designed for workstation/tower chassis.

Supermicro doesn't go too custom for most things, like the PSU, unlike HP for example but it always pays to check as they do have non standard stuff as well.

im happy with one eps plug nothing bigger then a 120tdp cpu is going in this . the seller ant even sure if it came with the 1200w when it was sold im guessing its the 500 or 700w model but had a few upgrades over its life . my dells are like that MB only for that case and PSU only for the MB/Model . everything is special connectors 

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

going to put this in got a email today from supermicro support incase it helps anyone since there is confliting info on this backplane .

The backplane BPN-SAS-826A supports drives larger than 4TB. It’s up to the HBA/Raid Card and O.S.

BPN-SAS-826A supports SAS2 6Gb.

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 4 weeks later...

hello

its been awhile

all was working well till i had 2 brownout and the ubuntu install keeps locking up logs are useless . i was stupid didnt have it on a UPS getting one now . @leadeater do you know if the PSU's are as picky as consumer ones with the step sine wave vs simulated .  what i mean can i get away with this(   LX1500GU or  CP1200AVR )  instead of what i use on my consumer psu's ( CP1500PFCLCD ). i rather not have to drop close to 250$ for another if a 150$ one will work .

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler