PC to PC game capture without capture card?

Go to solution Solved by RamboPenguin,
6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh, you'll want NDI tools. https://www.newtek.com/ndi/tools/#download-tools

install on both and run NDI scan converter on your gaming PC and OBS on your laptop. connect both via an ethernet cable to minimise packet drops (and not hog the wifi connection).

Do I need a direct Ethernet connection between the two, or can I use an Ethernet switch on the back of my router?

If I need a direct connection, do I need a splitter of some kind because my desktop does not have a wifi adapter. It needs the Ethernet cable to get internet.

I think this is where this post belongs, sorry if it's not.

So I have a desktop computer and a laptop.

My desktop has an i5 processor, R9 380, and 8gb ram. My laptop has an i7, GTX 1060 and 16gb of ram.

Currently, when I stream heavier titles on my desktop like Rainbow Six Siege or even Borderlands 2, the stream lags and I drop frames. The i5 CPU is at 100% usage, so it makes sense that I would drop frames.

I can play the games on their own just fine on my desktop, but the encoding of the capture for the stream takes too much CPU processing power for my desktop.

My question is: Is there any way to use my laptop as a "streaming PC" and capture the gameplay from the desktop PC without using a capture card?

I'm short on money atm, so I can't really buy a capture card. 

I would also prefer to just use my desktop to game on because the laptop doesn't have much storage and is supposed to be used for school.

6 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

oh, you'll want NDI tools. https://www.newtek.com/ndi/tools/#download-tools

install on both and run NDI scan converter on your gaming PC and OBS on your laptop. connect both via an ethernet cable to minimise packet drops (and not hog the wifi connection).

Do I need a direct Ethernet connection between the two, or can I use an Ethernet switch on the back of my router?

If I need a direct connection, do I need a splitter of some kind because my desktop does not have a wifi adapter. It needs the Ethernet cable to get internet.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

you can use a switch or router. as long as both systems can see each other on the network, NDI tools will be able to work itself. the only concern is bandwidth, so you might want to test for any dropped frames

you shouldn't need anything extra for your case, because it'll ride on the same cable (try not to have a youtube video playing on the background while you game ._.)

the ideal would be a separate connection, but if it runs fine with your current network setup/connection then you should do fine

Fantastic. Thanks a lot. I'll try it out.