ok so im final done building....

lookpuppy

But it doesn't work. the motherboard lights up, (the power and reset button). the fans don't spin, the graphics card fans don't spin. the case doesn't light up, and the power supply doesn't light up. I've unplugged, replugged a,d done it a million times over. parts are in my description.

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

sabertooth 55i? o_o is this a recent buy or something you have for quite the long while?

did you try the onboard power button? is the 8-pin CPU power connected (above the VRM)?

(also do you have pics of the inside?)

I got what I thought was a good craigslist deal. I got that mobo, with 1 stick of ddr3 ram (8 gb) i7-860, AMD HD 7770,. 40$, not half bad. im hoping its repairable, but if it isn't, I know. a guy who is willing to sell me another mobo, with an i7- 9**. for like $30. I just bought an antic three hundred two as well.  and yes the 8 pin is in, I did notice the one of half of the 8 pin was out so I reseated it, but I'm still confused.

no, how much is the beeper and where can I get it?. also no, I odnt have pictures, I don't have a phone, and MacBooks have terrible cameras, and I don't have good lighting ( I live downstairs)

amazon should have it (search of motherboard speaker). don't spend more than 5 quid on in though. it's a pretty disposable thing (in the sense as it does only one thing)

(or maybe ask around if your friends have one of those to borrow)

it's pretty late where I am, so I can't do a body-twin test right now (everyone within 1KM would kill me). but once it's daytime in my area I'll play around with mine to see if there's anything I can check with you without a beeper.

okay ill order it tomorrow. but could it not be the mobo, maybe the cpu? I'm sure the psi works, and the mobo works, but whats making it not spin the fans or show up on screen.

8 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

yeah it's been about a few months since I last handled the board, so I can't make guesses right now on the nuances of the issue

maybe the CPU... that'll have to wait for tomorrow for me. have you seen the underside of the mobo and the CPU during assembly?

yeah, everything looks normal, I'm just confused, yes I'm an ammeter. first computer

9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

okay before i approach the possibility of a bunk motherboard, have you tried turning it on with the onboard power button? if it turns on with it, you might have connected the front panel headers wrong

otherwise the board might be dead. I've tried turning mine on without a CPU and it power loops (fan spins and lights flash momentarily then stop). if you have the time, disassemble the board and check the board and CPU for anything that doesn't look right

okay, im sorry i didnt respond sooner. i did forget to mention that i did happen to get thermal paste in the motherboard socket a few months ago. well it wasnt really mine, i noticed it before i replace the old tp that was on it when i got it.  it is still there, hardened up and stuff, but i dont have a tool to get it out. i will take those suggestions though and do them when i get home

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, that as in thermal paste gooping all over the mounting levers, or did you mean there's paste on the gold socket fingers itself? o_o

inside the socket. i heard that it isnt conductive though so i dont know.

40 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

wait, that as in thermal paste gooping all over the mounting levers, or did you mean there's paste on the gold socket fingers itself? o_o

should i try removing it though? i have someone offering me anohter 1156 board, for 30 bucks.

what other board is it? curious

im not 100% on that. i need 90% or higher isopropyl alcohol though? i think i already have some. Can  i use cotton balls on the bottom of the cpu? and should i use some bayonette tweezers on the motherboard?

On 7/17/2018 at 10:02 AM, VegetableStu said:

anything about 80% should do I think, just remember to dry it out before reassembly. don't use cotton balls, in case the fibers latch onto the fingers and bend the other way. folded kitchen towels might help (hold it like a gituar pick)

small thin tweezers, yes, but be extremely careful not to pull a few "hairs"

I don't think it might be worth the time and effort, especially if you have other work to do. depending on how much light wiping is needed to remove the hardened paste, you might bend more pins on the way (solving problem A causes more problem Bs to fix). and I don't think I can garuantee if that would bring everything back together

EDIT: do a cursory check for the other areas of the motherboard for any marks or burns or popped capacitors before committing to a rather tedious procedure though. in case you fixed the socket and turns out it REALLY IS something else

i havent done the "procedure" yet. but i wanted to point out, even with the computer "off" my keyboard lights up(rosewill neon k51), when plugged in on both the front panel and back panel. my mouse doesnt though (prodigy g203). also i plugged it in, and i felt a tingling on my finger when switching the power supply, which worries me.