Glas or Acrylic Glas for Tabletop?

My2t1c

I want to build a new Tabletop for my Setup. I was searching for Ideas and found this video 

by Mark Rober. 

I absolutely love the Idea and did some research. I need a Plate that is aprox. 15-25 mm thick.

The tabletop should be scratch resistant and light conducting.

But i didnt find any acrylic glass that is scratch resistant and thicker than 8mm.

Can I use glas for this project? What kind should I use?

Any Ideas? Please help.

PS: Im from Austria, pls all mesurements in the metric System

If you wanna go glass have a look for tempered glass, I had a table that was about 1,5m x 0,5m x 1cm

EDIT: btw that was one heavy fu*ker

2 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

If you wanna go glass have a look for tempered glass, I had a table that was about 1,5m x 0,5m x 1cm

EDIT: btw that was one heavy fu*ker

Thanks for the reply!

Does it conduct light?

1 minute ago, Pangea2017 said:

Use glass. If you do acrylic add a foil on top which you can replace if it gets scratched up.

And yes glass conducts light.

Ok thank you. What type of glass do you recomend?

I would probably go with a scratch resistant Acrylic depending on the surface size.. It'll be cheaper than tempered glass (I wouldn't trust normal glass), and would be much lighter. especially if you're doing it yourself. But that would probably also depend on the size. If you're doing a larger surface area a Acrylic might be better, but small, the durability of tempered glass should be fine.

I am curious to see how your table turns out. I'm going to make one when I get a house next year. I've always wanted a TNG style 10-forward coffee table.

latest?cb=20150221221425&path-prefix=en

1 minute ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I would probably go with a scratch resistant Acrylic. It'll be cheaper than tempered glass (I wouldn't trust normal glass), and would be much lighter. especially if you're doing it yourself.

I am curious to see how your table turns out. I'm going to make one when I get a house next year. I've always wanted a TNG style 10-forward coffee table.

latest?cb=20150221221425&path-prefix=en

Thanks!

The problem is that rgb stripes are like 1 cm thick

and the acrylic glass is only 8 mm so it kinda doesnt work

I just saw that you are from austria, search vor "ESG Glas Österreich" there are usually websites that offer services to cut into custom sizes

2 minutes ago, ZeouLs said:

I just saw that you are from austria, search vor "ESG Glas Österreich" there are usually websites that offer services to cut into custom sizes

Danke!