Classic games? Old card

aezakmi

Hi

A friend has a kinda old computer and he's looking for games, I told him about Left 4 Dead or Counter Strike 1.6 but he already has them

His PC has:

Athlon 880k "Godavari" core

Geforce 6600 512MB

4GB memory

it's a prebuilt so the graphics card is junk and has passive cooling, cpu has the stock cooler, the case is really small and only has a single 80mm exhaust fan but it manages to work, the GPU is at 88C if he plays for more than 30 mins... we used to play League Of Legends until this year where the game had a big update that made it unplayable on his computer (5 FPS) Oh and he can't upgrade the card

what other games could run on that computer? also no emulators, he likes any genre except for simulations like the sims or civilization games, thx guys

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Arma 2

dawn is war

swat 4

command and conquer generals 

battlefield 3

call of duty 

3 hours ago, fpo said:

Arma 2

dawn is war

swat 4

command and conquer generals 

battlefield 3

call of duty 

no way battlefield 3 can run there but the others might work just fine

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

33 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

no way battlefield 3 can run there but the others might work just fine

Battlefield 2? :P 

if he can get a copy, rock raiders is fun. It’s a LEGO game. 

Arma Cold War assault or Operation flashpoint. There are a few arma games like arma gold too. 

Star Wars republic commando and battlefront 2 should be good. 

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Does he care about playing online or just wants to amass a large library of games?

The computer's good for mid-2000s and earlier, and there's a lot of good games from that time period.

no preference about online/offline. our connections are crap anyway so we just used to play league of legends because it had the lowest ping (140ms, playable) of all, he just paid me a visit and I gave him a few DVDs with FEAR, blacksite, fallout 3 and a few others

LAN parties are still a thing because of the internet being slow as f but we'd need to convince at least 6 more friends to bring their rigs, a party with BF1942 and BF2 would be great, and the classics of course, Counter Strike, Half Life and Unreal 99

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

no preference about online/offline. our connections are crap anyway so we just used to play league of legends because it had the lowest ping (140ms, playable) of all, he just paid me a visit and I gave him a few DVDs with FEAR, blacksite, fallout 3 and a few others

LAN parties are still a thing because of the internet being slow as f but we'd need to convince at least 6 more friends to bring their rigs, a party with BF1942 and BF2 would be great, and the classics of course, Counter Strike, Half Life and Unreal 99

If there are drivers for it, I'd consider "downgrading" the OS on the machine to Windows XP, if it isn't on it already. That more or less guarantees compatibility for games of the time.

Of course there's the issue of it going on the internet, but eh.

Just going back I forgot to recommend Unreal tournament 2004 & Counter Strike source. Garry’s mod might also run. 

Also doom 3 maybe. 

Here's a few of the games I enjoyed when I was younger that'll definitely run on a GF6600.

F.E.A.R.

Doom 3

Star Craft

Diablo 2

Need for Speed Underground 2

Elder Scrolls Morrowind

Dungeon Keeper

Command & Conquer

Star Wars Pod Racer

Drakan

Giants Citizen Kabuto

Fallout 2

Unreal Tournament

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

On 17/07/2018 at 6:04 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

If there are drivers for it, I'd consider "downgrading" the OS on the machine to Windows XP, if it isn't on it already. That more or less guarantees compatibility for games of the time.

Of course there's the issue of it going on the internet, but eh.

there are drivers but what about the browser? not even firefox runs on XP, there's seamonkey but most of the essential addons like ublock or the user agent switcher (to load light mobile versions of the sites) are incompatible with it so RIP XP that os has died

there's linux but you can't game with it if you don't have a PhD in programming

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

there are drivers but what about the browser? not even firefox runs on XP, there's seamonkey but most of the essential addons like ublock or the user agent switcher (to load light mobile versions of the sites) are incompatible with it so RIP XP that os has died

there's linux but you can't game with it if you don't have a PhD in programming

You should be using XP to browse the internet in any serious capacity anyway. If you need software or drivers, use another computer and transfer it over a thumb drive or something.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War if you like to play career mode. What about WoW?

If you do not have too much time for farming or grinding in WoW you can check wow accounts for sale and start a game at the most interesting level. 

3 hours ago, arabica said:

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War if you like to play career mode. What about WoW?

warhammer maybe, thx

WoW impossible since servers are located in NA and europe