Overheating

Snifferdog3

Hello! I have a lg G3 and it's been a great phone but I've had a number of problems with it. At the moment it's been getting very hot about 50-60° idle! I've done a factory reset but it's still getting hot.. my plan is to put some thermal paste on the CPU, I know exactly how to do it and I've been inside the phone before so I know all the insides so I won't break any cables etc, just wandering if thermal paste is a good idea? Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with that I guess, just make sure you use non conductive paste to be safe. I am curious about the results so if you can post them here that would be great 

If there's a heat shield in there, you're in for a difficult time in desoldering the thing, and you still won't have solved the root cause of the heat.

The Snapdragon 801 is a pretty hot chip in a plastic casing, so under even moderate load, those temps are unsurprising. Given you've already done a reset, I suspect the issue may be the ROM or something else installed in the background (Facebook is quite infamous here). Web browsing will heat it up, though if this is literally idle temps, something is loading the cpu more than it is supposed to.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

9 hours ago, light-v said:

There's nothing wrong with that I guess, just make sure you use non conductive paste to be safe. I am curious about the results so if you can post them here that would be great 

I have some arctic cooling thermal paste that I use on my pc, will that be ok? And yes Ill let you know if it helps.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

If there's a heat shield in there, you're in for a difficult time in desoldering the thing, and you still won't have solved the root cause of the heat.

The Snapdragon 801 is a pretty hot chip in a plastic casing, so under even moderate load, those temps are unsurprising. Given you've already done a reset, I suspect the issue may be the ROM or something else installed in the background (Facebook is quite infamous here). Web browsing will heat it up, though if this is literally idle temps, something is loading the cpu more than it is supposed to.

No it doesn't , here is a pic, also where I've circled red is where I'm planning to put the thermal paste, Screenshot_2018-07-16-08-33-11.thumb.jpeg.de8d35fed45b97e067122ba3d5fdb660.jpeg

Yes I have noticed web browser makes it hot, I don't use Facebook either. It's 60°c as soon as I boot the phone too.

32 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Could be the old battery acting up instead

But yeah, a change of paste will help the SoC

Well I've had this year and haven't replaced the battery, idk if person who had it before me did either so you could be right, my battery as been going down pretty fast lately

Probably should have said this in the main post I'm running Android 6.0 marshmello

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, light-v said:

hi, i put the thermal paste on today, it doesn't seem to have made a difference but I haven't tested it fully yet, probably needs a few days to set, but we're having a heat wave here in Wales (25-30 degrees Celcius) so it might just be the heat here that's been causing it all along..... I've only noticed it getting hot idle for the past few weeks...

On 22/07/2018 at 1:36 PM, Snifferdog3 said:

hi, i put the thermal paste on today, it doesn't seem to have made a difference but I haven't tested it fully yet, probably needs a few days to set, but we're having a heat wave here in Wales (25-30 degrees Celcius) so it might just be the heat here that's been causing it all along..... I've only noticed it getting hot idle for the past few weeks...

That's likely, just a few degrees make a huge difference in terms of how hot the phone feels in the hands. I go to Hong Kong every year and it's one of the most unbearable weather in the entire world and my phone always gets toasty there especially when charging. It does heat up during heatwaves here in England as well but not nearly as much and newer phones with more efficient CPUs tend to fare better in the heat of the summer