Activating travel sim card

AskTJ

Today I arrived in Singapore with my brother, mum and dad. We found a 7/11 store outside of our hotel and noticed they were selling plans. We come from Australia and we can't use that sim card here. The deal we got was for 7 days (We are staying for 3), we get 500 minutes of calls, 100 texts, 100GB of data and 30 minutes of international calls, which don't work as we tried calling the other brother that stayed back for studies. The sim plan cost S$12 which is $8.80 USD converted, which is a great deal IMO.

But here is my question. We were required to give my dads passport over, for 5 minutes while they did something with it, and we were only allowed to pay with cash, not card.

Is this normal behavior, or should we be concerned? 

If you need any more details, ask and i'll put them here.

Thank you.

image.thumb.png.e44645cae71150d324b418f8de7f2dc4.png

hi.

15 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Today I arrived in Singapore with my brother, mum and dad. We found a 7/11 store outside of our hotel and noticed they were selling plans. We come from Australia and we can't use that sim card here. The deal we got was for 7 days (We are staying for 3), we get 500 minutes of calls, 100 texts, 100GB of data and 30 minutes of international calls, which don't work as we tried calling the other brother that stayed back for studies. The sim plan cost S$12 which is $8.80 USD converted, which is a great deal IMO.

But here is my question. We were required to give my dads passport over, for 5 minutes while they did something with it, and we were only allowed to pay with cash, not card.

Is this normal behavior, or should we be concerned? 

If you need any more details, ask and i'll put them here.

Thank you.

Their website says this:

Tips to get started:

1. Simply register your prepaid SIM card with your passport during purchase. Registration is quick and easy.

2. Once you have your SIM, insert it into your phone and activate it by sending an SMS or dial *142#. You’ll receive a notification once it’s successful. And you’re ready to go!

3. Manage your StarHub prepaid account easily anytime, anywhere with our Happy Prepaid App. You can check your prepaid credit and data balance, top up your account, manage roaming settings and more.

4. If you’re staying for a longer period of time and need more data, activate a data plan of your choice via our Happy Prepaid App (under 'Buy Data' tab), using the stored credits in your SIM.