Is Silicon Power a good SSD brand?

Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

Silicon Power's been around for a long time, they're a decent enough minor brand (you've got loads of brands using the same hardware anyway, so brand is often meaningless). But the MX500 is a pretty fast SSD and likely faster than whatever Silicon Power model you're looking at. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using an SM2258 controller just like the Crucial MX500 does, it's been really popular for a while (like the SF-2281 back in the day). But the MX500 will have faster NAND, which is what helped it stand out from the crowd in benchmarks when it launched. Crucial's in a good spot there as they're one of the few manufacturers of NAND, so they get first pick of what they make.

Hey guys,

Silicon power just launched the cheapest 1TB SSD in my country which is approx 37$ cheaper than the current Crucial MX500. Is it worth saving that money or should I go for the Crucial brand. They also offer 3 year warranty when compared to MX500's 5 year warranty.

Go for the Crucial as it will be significantly faster

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Silicon Power's been around for a long time, they're a decent enough minor brand (you've got loads of brands using the same hardware anyway, so brand is often meaningless). But the MX500 is a pretty fast SSD and likely faster than whatever Silicon Power model you're looking at. I wouldn't be surprised if they're using an SM2258 controller just like the Crucial MX500 does, it's been really popular for a while (like the SF-2281 back in the day). But the MX500 will have faster NAND, which is what helped it stand out from the crowd in benchmarks when it launched. Crucial's in a good spot there as they're one of the few manufacturers of NAND, so they get first pick of what they make.

• 4 years later...

Picked up a very cheap Silicon Power 1TB SSD from Amazon recently £35. Worked great at first, I spent a day moving my big xbox one games over to it. Performance was top notch. Forza 5 went from 5mins 30seconds to 1min 28seconds load time. Day 2 I powered on the console and the games were gone. The drive was dead, totally, refused to even power up. It literally died in 1 day!  Returned it to Amazon for a full refund on Day 3.

Will replace it with a Samsung drive me thinks. Probably a good reason they're so cheap. One being the total lack of Dram on these SP SSD's.