Can't record 1080p60

Hi guys, so I'm using obs to record my Gameplay and for some reason I can't record fortnite at 60fps 1080p resolution.

I can play with more than 100 fps normally and even when I record the gameplay is smooth, over 90 fps but the video quality is so crappy. Also when streaming to youtube, I can't stream at 720p60, although the actual gameplay quality is not affected the stream comes out 30ish fps. I'll live 2 screenshots with my obs settings.

My rig : 

System

• CPU
    Intel core i7-4790
  • Motherboard
    Asus z97-c
  • RAM
    Kingston DDR3 HyperX Fury Red 2x8192MB 1866MHz
  • GPU
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 Strix
  • Case
    Cooler Master Master Case Pro 5
  • Storage
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 64MB SATAIII
  • PSU
    Corsair cx600M
  • SSD
    Crucial bx100 120GB

1.png

2.png

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hmm.

What does the quality selector show on YouTube? Does it show 720p60 or does it show other things rather than that?

It shows 720p60, and sometimes it actually stream at that frame rate but mostly at 30. My upload speed is 10k, not the best but still good enough for x264 5k bitrate

1 minute ago, Powesedor (Pedro Pereira) said:

It shows 720p60, and sometimes it actually stream at that frame rate but mostly at 30. My upload speed is 10k, not the best but still good enough for x264 5k bitrate

Hmm, now I'm a little confused. Does OBS show it dropping frames?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hmm, now I'm a little confused. Does OBS show it dropping frames?

Nop! I mean the square is mostly green and the most frames it dropped during a 2h stream was 1%. I'm confused too, and a bit frustrated tbh. Also I can't record at 1080p60

Nop! I mean the square is mostly green and the most frames it dropped during a 2h stream was 1%. I'm confused too, and a bit frustrated tbh. Also I can't record at 1080p60

Yeah, now I'm just confused as to what OBS is doing here. All I can really say is see if reinstalling drivers will do anything as I noticed that you're using GPU encoding.

5 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, now I'm just confused as to what OBS is doing here. All I can really say is see if reinstalling drivers will do anything as I noticed that you're using GPU encoding.

I did that already, I have the lastest driver according to GeForce Experience 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hate to ask, but is Shadowplay also recording in the background?

Np, ask what you need. I think not, but to be sure I'll disable it   

17 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Hate to ask, but is Shadowplay also recording in the background?

Ok i maneged to see the problem, My pc doesn't handle 40k bitrate, i decided to go down to 25k. Works fine but I would like to get a little bit higher but for that I'll have to go with try and error

Ok i maneged to see the problem, My pc doesn't handle 40k bitrate, i decided to go down to 25k. Works fine but I would like to get a little bit higher but for that I'll have to go with try and error

Oh, alright.

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Oh, alright.

So it decided to not work again, tried with Dxtory and it worked fine, 1080p60 no frame drops. OBS seems to be the problem 

having the cpu usage preset on "faster" could be the culprit, that can be quite taxing. Also, check your settings in the video tab. They may not be set to 1080p and thus why you are not recording at 1080p

Also, try recording with CQP instead of CBR. From what I've seen for recording CQP is better than CBR. Use something between 15-25 with 15 being better quality but more filesize, and 25 being lesser (note I said lesser not worst) quality but smaller file sizes.

put the cpu encoding on VERY FAST since you're not using it as a dedicated recording pc. Not joking

I suggest bumping up the bitrate if you need to match, and encode later with handbrake at night or something if it's not a stream. 

Any bitrate limitations are likely your storage. Its wise to record to an ssd for extremely high bitrate, then copy to mass storage later. HDD should handle at least 50Mb/s safely with room to spare if nothing else is accessing it often. Typically past that they wont play back on mech drives without buffering either. These bitrates are of course only really good for stills or editing, way more than you need for yt obv. 10-15 is more than enough, and more than yt allows for. Using nvenc, you are doing 40Mb/s (bitrate is in Kb, not labeled I know), which is VERY high (but sometimes doable on a dedicated mech drive), so check your storage activity while recording and playing back. Nvenc is going to affect games much less as it's a built in gpu function, but its very blocky at lower bitrates. I suggest cpu if you can spare some cpu power. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Also, never, never use mp4.

If something konks and the file isn't closed, recovering the video you already recorded is a bitch, and believe me crashing while recording is a thing you just have to deal with on occasion 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 hours ago, LozzyTheLemming said:

having the cpu usage preset on "faster" could be the culprit, that can be quite taxing. Also, check your settings in the video tab. They may not be set to 1080p and thus why you are not recording at 1080p

Also, try recording with CQP instead of CBR. From what I've seen for recording CQP is better than CBR. Use something between 15-25 with 15 being better quality but more filesize, and 25 being lesser (note I said lesser not worst) quality but smaller file sizes.

So I changed to very fast, didn't test the stream but my problem is also recording. Is obs that heavy that dxtory can record 1080p60 easly and obs can't ? Tested with Streamlabs OBS too but same happened 

8 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Also, never, never use mp4.

If something konks and the file isn't closed, recovering the video you already recorded is a bitch, and believe me crashing while recording is a thing you just have to deal with on occasion 

I tried a lot of different file types, but all of them lagg

2 hours ago, Powesedor (Pedro Pereira) said:

I tried a lot of different file types, but all of them lagg

shouldn't, but that bitrate is crazy

muh specs 

All parts black

9 hours ago, Powesedor (Pedro Pereira) said:

So I changed to very fast, didn't test the stream but my problem is also recording. Is obs that heavy that dxtory can record 1080p60 easly and obs can't ? Tested with Streamlabs OBS too but same happened 

It isn't heavy but your setting might still be too much for your specs to handle. keep turning the quality down until it no longer lags. Also doing everything on a single HDD doesn't help either, from what I know if you record to HDD it should be a dedicated drive and not a boot drive.

Try this, Record a 30 secondish clip of gameplay, using CQP and at 25. if that doesn't lag, then try 24, repeat until you get to a point that it starts to have lag in the recordings, and then revert to a number where it isn't right on the edge of what your PC can handle. So if it starts to be crap recordings at say 17, don't just then stick it on 18 and call it a day, put it onto 20.