Undervolting GTX 1050Ti Max-Q

Vikendo

I apologize in advance if this sounds lame but I have searched the web, watched the YouTube but haven't found what I'm looking for.

I bought Dell XPS 15 9570 which comes with Intel Core i7-8750H and GTX 1050Ti Max-Q and while undervolting CPU was easy, GPU is not a piece of cake for me. 

I have read the best utility for undervolting is MSI Afterburner and I'm supposed to move the curve up in the beginning and then even the rest so that it ends the same as default. I have tried that but apart from a minor gain in 3D Mark Benchmark I didn't get desired results. 

Could anyone who owns the same GPU share their curve or tell me their numbers? Here is mine in default if that helps.

Curve.png

Every GPU is different. What works for one might not work for another.

So I know you are on a laptop, but why are you wanting to undervolt the gpu? battery life? Heat Reduction? TBH, you probably wont see a major improvement in either.. especially how you are looking to do it.

Your gpu will spend most of the time either at 1-15% usage  or 95%+ usage. So your idle volts and high usage volts will be what are most important. Next you don't need to use the curve like that. You can actually manually adjust the voltage across the board, which will probably be an easier option for you as the stepping above can take a long time to get right.  On top of all that you are going to get very little gains in temp and battery life regardless. So try dropping the voltage slowly with the voltage slider instead of the stepping above.

Thank you for your answer.

The main reason would be better performance. Judging by this video it can help quite a lot.

The problem with slider is that it is not supported by my hardware. Dropping the voltage in curve editor is sort of a workaround to undervolting in this case if I understand that right.

Undervolting shouldn't have any performance gains outside of maybe reducing throttling because of temps.

XPS lineup is known for terrible thermals and pasting so I guess you're right. So do you think repasting would be a better choice?

1 hour ago, Vikendo said:

XPS lineup is known for terrible thermals and pasting so I guess you're right. So do you think repasting would be a better choice?

Undervolting will definitely provide better thermal reduction than repasting, but if you're serious about reducing temps, then do both. Repasting will only cost you about $10 and some time, while undervolting will only cost you time.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

10 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

Undervolting will definitely provide better thermal reduction than repasting, but if you're serious about reducing temps, then do both. Repasting will only cost you about $10 and some time, while undervolting will only cost you time.

Thank you. The problem is I still haven't figured out what to do in order to undervolt GPU. 

5 hours ago, Vikendo said:

Thank you. The problem is I still haven't figured out what to do in order to undervolt GPU. 

The fact you have access to the core/clock curve is a good start.

What I usually do when undervolting is load up 3d Mark or FurMark and watch where my GPU clocks ultimately end up. My laptop's GTX 1060 settles around 1860MHz after a few minutes at full load. From there, I try to target around 1850MHz and start with the 850mv point.

So basically

1. Stress the GPU to determine the final clock speed
  2. In the curve editor, shift click the 1200mv point and drag it below the 850mv point
  3. Drag the 850mv point up to where my GPU clocks settle at stock and apply

When you apply the voltage curve, everything after the 850mv point should become flat. This is how you know your undervolt is applied. If the GPU is stable at the target clock speed, then you can either try increasing the clock speed, or start working your way down to the 800mv point.

Ultimately, my laptop's GPU curve is completely flat. I have it undervolted to 1850MHz at 800mv. I know it's not the same as a 1050Ti Max Q, but the steps should be the same, even if the final clock or voltage is not.

On a side note, most laptops share the heatpipes between the CPU and GPU. Considering that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to undervolt the CPU as well. This can be done with ThrottleStop under the FIVR menu. All you need to do is set the CPU Voltage and Cache Voltage to adaptive, and work your way down starting from -100mv until the system becomes unstable. My laptop's i7-6820hq settled at -180mv CPU and Cache. Anything lower than -185mv was unstable for me.

Hope it helps.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:21 PM, Frankenburger said:

The fact you have access to the core/clock curve is a good start.

What I usually do when undervolting is load up 3d Mark or FurMark and watch where my GPU clocks ultimately end up. My laptop's GTX 1060 settles around 1860MHz after a few minutes at full load. From there, I try to target around 1850MHz and start with the 850mv point.

So basically

1. Stress the GPU to determine the final clock speed
  2. In the curve editor, shift click the 1200mv point and drag it below the 850mv point
  3. Drag the 850mv point up to where my GPU clocks settle at stock and apply

When you apply the voltage curve, everything after the 850mv point should become flat. This is how you know your undervolt is applied. If the GPU is stable at the target clock speed, then you can either try increasing the clock speed, or start working your way down to the 800mv point.

Ultimately, my laptop's GPU curve is completely flat. I have it undervolted to 1850MHz at 800mv. I know it's not the same as a 1050Ti Max Q, but the steps should be the same, even if the final clock or voltage is not.

On a side note, most laptops share the heatpipes between the CPU and GPU. Considering that, it wouldn't be a bad idea to undervolt the CPU as well. This can be done with ThrottleStop under the FIVR menu. All you need to do is set the CPU Voltage and Cache Voltage to adaptive, and work your way down starting from -100mv until the system becomes unstable. My laptop's i7-6820hq settled at -180mv CPU and Cache. Anything lower than -185mv was unstable for me.

Hope it helps.

Thank you for helping me. I somehow managed to undervolt the dGPU and the temps dropped by about 5 degrees.

For anyone looking for a graph of undervolted GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, this is mine. I'm not saying it's perfect but it works for me and I'm not sure if I will be adjusting the numbers any more.

Undervolting.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2018 at 11:38 AM, Vikendo said:

For anyone looking for a graph of undervolted GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, this is mine. I'm not saying it's perfect but it works for me and I'm not sure if I will be adjusting the numbers any more.

Undervolting.jpg

Thanks bro, undervolting the CPU of my 9570 was like a walk in a park bit the GPU is somehow harder. Can't we use the sliders?