Service NSW (Australia) ditches windows for Chrome OS

ces160

@ces160 The thread has been moved to General Discussion as it doesn't meet the requirements for the Tech News Section. Once update it will be eligible to be re-evaluated. 

Smells like dirty money... or maybe thats just australia. 

If it's anything like the USA, NSW is probably upgrading from DOS

ew.....why?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

30 minutes ago, mcfly said:

Smells like dirty money... or maybe thats just australia. 

If it's anything like the USA, NSW is probably upgrading from DOS

Nah. A lot of gov't uses Windows 7 funnily enough. So do a lot of the POS machines in supermarkets here in Australia too. Before that we were running either WIndows XP on our self serve registers or Windows 2000, the hardware was that ancient.

Not really sure why the move to Chrome OS, maybe they're able to get a tailored OS to make things more streamline. I know my work ended up ditching a standard software by NCR for their POS/Self serve & went with a custom one that works with our inventory system (which is fucking web based), even though it appears to still be by NCR, but it's their own or whatever, only reason the "upgrade" was something about licensing the license ran out & support had ended so new software & POS machines it was.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

A step in the right direction... kinda. Governments shouldn't be using Windows in my opinion, but they probably shouldn't be using Chrome OS either.