G sync with V sync??

I just got a new G sync monitor and noticed it wasn't working. Framerates going above the 100hz refresh rate. My monitor is the Acer Predator X34. I read a few comments and articles saying G sync and V sync both ned to be enabled but the discussion is back and forth. Which one is true??

Afaik to use G-Sync you cant enable V-Sync at the same time and V-Sync overall causes input lag while G-Sync doesnt

Gsync operates in a range, much like vsync, but doesn't lock to a certain framerate. It's variable refresh rate technology. You pick either Vsync or Gsync (or freesync obv.) but not both.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

11 minutes ago, PeachContainer said:

I just got a new G sync monitor and noticed it wasn't working. Framerates going above the 100hz refresh rate. My monitor is the Acer Predator X34. I read a few comments and articles saying G sync and V sync both ned to be enabled but the discussion is back and forth. Which one is true??

You can use both G-Sync + V-Sync or G-Sync + Fast-Sync at the same time but that defeats the whole purpose of G-Sync whenever you hit the FPS that matches or exceeds your max monitor refresh rate since you will be introducing a huge input lag.

You're better off using a FPS cap (preferably the one built into the game) to limit your FPS by about 2-3FPS bellow your monitors max Hz (to avoid the range of error in SW).

Dont usr NVIDIA Inspector to limit FPS, it introduces almost the same amount of input lag as V-Sync for some reason. (Use Riva Tuner).

Like @WereCat said, the proper setup for G-Sync is to enable it and then enable global Vertical Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel. Then put limiter on your max fps to just below your refresh rate. Best way is to use ingame built-in (if there is such an option) and if not then Riva Tuner. 

Note that the Vertical Sync in NVIDIA Control Panel is the one you turn on but in game option you turn VSync off.

This site goes in depth about the topic of setting up your G-Sync properly:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

12 hours ago, WereCat said:

You can use both G-Sync + V-Sync or G-Sync + Fast-Sync at the same time but that defeats the whole purpose of G-Sync whenever you hit the FPS that matches or exceeds your max monitor refresh rate since you will be introducing a huge input lag.

You're better off using a FPS cap (preferably the one built into the game) to limit your FPS by about 2-3FPS bellow your monitors max Hz (to avoid the range of error in SW).

Dont usr NVIDIA Inspector to limit FPS, it introduces almost the same amount of input lag as V-Sync for some reason. (Use Riva Tuner).

This ^

I do the same for my 4k freesync, i lock frames at 58  and vsync off, smooth like a baby's butt

Let's agree to disagree