SSD advice

8tE1GH7

I was thinking about getting a SSD, something just for my OS and a handfull of games. I want something that's going to be reliable, speed and performance are nice but I want something that's going to last. Here's a quick list, feel free to recommend one if you think it's better. 

Thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249033

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148694

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171752

If you have the money, get the Samsung 840 PRO. Put it into RAPID mode and it will be the fastest/most reliable SSD there is.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

how long is a Samsung 840 PRO ment to last in RAPID Mode ?? but with a 5 year warrenty i guess a long time ahaha

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

BTW the 840 Pro is the fastes SSD you can get at 256Gb package save and get that one i have 2 and their Awesome !!

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

Just go for the EVO. The 840 Pro is meant for professional applications, where many tens of gigabytes are being written every day to the drive. If that's not the kind of workload it will be under, then get the EVO. It features RAPID like the 840 Pro, but also has their TurboWrite technology, making the drive much faster in burst operations.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Just go for the EVO. The 840 Pro is meant for professional applications, where many tens of gigabytes are being written every day to the drive. If that's not the kind of workload it will be under, then get the EVO. It features RAPID like the 840 Pro, but also has their TurboWrite technology, making the drive much faster in burst operations.

Whats the lifespan on the EVO?

Whats the lifespan on the EVO?

Depends on how you use it. What exactly will you be doing with it?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Depends on how you use it. What exactly will you be doing with it?

Going to put my OS on it, a few games and some applications like Adobe photoshop and fireworks. 

Going to put my OS on it, a few games and some applications like Adobe photoshop and fireworks. 

Will your projects be exported to the SSD? And will the SSD be a scratch disk target?

The 840 Pro, Plextor M5P and Sandisk Extreme II will last the longest. Samsung and Sandisk uses their own highly binned 19nm synchronous MLC while Plextor uses 19nm Toggle MLC, which is as good.

the 840 Evo will inherently last shorter as it uses a lower endurance flash. But it will still survive about 5 years of normal consumer use.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Will your projects be exported to the SSD? And will the SSD be a scratch disk target?

No and no, I have a 1tb HDD for all my larger files. I just want the application on my SSD so it launches faster.

No and no, I have a 1tb HDD for all my larger files. I just want the application on my SSD so it launches faster.

Then the EVO is the most cost-effective option for you.

Then the EVO is the most cost-effective option for you.

Thanks for the advice