Extremely high end video editing rig: more CPU or GPU?

I edit my videos all in 4k 60fps and they usually tend to come out at least an hour long. With my current setup, (Core i7 5820k paired with 8gb of ram and a gtx 1080) it takes like 5 minutes to edit even 15 seconds worth of video, my longer videos have left my computer unusable to me for days at a time and once or twice crashed out and I had to start all over. I'm looking to get a serious hardware upgrade to speed up my process immensely, but I'm just not quite sure what area of the PC I need to focus on. Assuming Price isnt a barrier, would I be better off getting an 8 core chip(like a 2700x) and a baller gpu like vega frontier edition, or would I see better performance getting a monstrously threaded cpu(like a 1600x or the upcoming 32 core threadripper)? Any ideas on how much RAM I would need to be looking at are welcome as well.

You'll get better performance from having more cores and threads than a GPU. Especially in Premiere. Though if you have Premiere, you should be using Intel iGPU hardware acceleration. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You'll get better performance from having more cores and threads than a GPU. Especially in Premiere. Though if you have Premiere, you should be using Intel iGPU hardware acceleration. 

Personally I use sony vegas 14, and an i7 5820k doesn't have an igpu, nor do any of the builds I'm looking at making. Besides, I would think that almost any recent dedicated gpu would be much faster than any of Intel's integrated offerings, unless you have any comparisons I could look at?

13 minutes ago, evilmeister13 said:

I would think that almost any recent dedicated gpu would be much faster than any of Intel's integrated offerings

You would think that, but you would be wrong. The iGPU blows dedicated cards out of the water thanks to Intel Quicksync

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

24 minutes ago, evilmeister13 said:

If you're using Vegas probably just stick to Ryzen, but what's your Budget/Country? I like Vegas more than premiere simply because you're not paying a sub fee for seemingly unstable software.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

13 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You would think that, but you would be wrong. The iGPU blows dedicated cards out of the water thanks to Intel Quicksync

This is true, but from what I hear quicksync provides speed over quality. If you need every spec of quality in a video, quicksync isn't the greatest choice.

11 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If you're using Vegas probably just stick to Ryzen, but what's your Budget/Country? I like Vegas more than premiere simply because you're not paying a sub fee for seemingly unstable software.

I don't really have a set budget at the moment, I'm thinking somewhere in the $5000-$7000 range is probably where I'm gonna land since I'm most likely going to be getting the 32 core threadripper and multiple TB of ssd storage

2 minutes ago, Demolishdude said:

This is true, but from what I hear quicksync provides speed over quality. If you need every spec of quality in a video, quicksync isn't the greatest choice.

Yeah i do need quality over speed for sure, just looking to figure out how to speed things up with new hardware. 

8 minutes ago, evilmeister13 said:

Yeah i do need quality over speed for sure, just looking to figure out how to speed things up with new hardware. 

You don't need to get more than a 16 core because Vegas 14 is limited to 16 threads anyways. So you'll just want to set it in CPU affinity to use one thread per core, or just disable SMT before rendering to make it automatic. Or use like ThreadLasso so it remembers your affinity.

Probably don't need that much NVME storage either, if you don't have a NAS already build one of those

As for the GPUs anything with Vega 56 or 1070ti should be fine. Probably looking at like $2K max for the machine.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Your current system needs more memory. A Lot more memory. A 4x8GB kit would be good.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

21 minutes ago, brob said:

Your current system needs more memory. A Lot more memory. A 4x8GB kit would be good.

I do 4k editing in Vegas with only 16GBs of RAM, doesn't even fill it up all the way, but it for sure uses more than 8GBS

Spoiler