1366 Xeon Westmere-EP power consumption

Hello,

Does anyone have any power consumption figures between the low power models like the L5640 and other non low power models?

I picked up a Dell r610 today ($50 wooo) that came with a couple 5530 but was looking to change it up.  My workload is idle the vast majority of the time but I do have some Network related vms to spin up like lab f5 LTM

Was just curious for actual differences.  Likely will take it down to a single CPU but wasn't sure if anyone had solid/observed figures in different workloads.

Thanks

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

I run a single L5630 in an R410 I use for a PFsense. That CPU has 4 cores with 8 threads at a 40W TDP. Currently with such a light load the server rarely goes over 70 watt power consumption. Adding a second processor and splitting the RAM between the two will make the power consumption jump up about 30 watts.

On my primary I run a pair of L5640's (CPU with 6 cores, 12 threads, 60W TDP) I've measured around a 140 watt power consumption at idle This box will run VMs or transcoding videos for Plex. Eventually I'm going to move PFsense to a VM on it which will allow me to use the 410 as a test server to play around with other things as well as save some power not running the 410 all the time.

The L CPUs are great for general home use. They're extremely cheap and among the most power efficient Xeons for the LGA1366. They aren't really meant for cutting edge performance but if the loads are idle to moderate the majority of the time they would be worth considering IMO.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, beersykins said:

Does anyone have any power consumption figures between the low power models like the L5640 and other non low power models?

2x L5630

image.png.f96f34bdecd601d2091324f307c3b1b6.png

If you update drac to the latest version, it will give you the power usage of the r610 over a period of time in the power monitoring section;

If you are worried about using too much power, a power 'cap' can be specified preventing the unit using too much power.  This will sacrifice performance but it will keep bills reduced :)

Attached an example;

image.thumb.png.3e637a085870828ce479f7f4f8134686.png

image.png.efa56f4d197e9f5d3024784f754ede48.png

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

16 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

If you update drac to the latest version, it will give you the power usage of the r610 over a period of time in the power monitoring section;

If you are worried about using too much power, a power 'cap' can be specified preventing the unit using too much power.  This will sacrifice performance but it will keep bills reduced :)

Attached an example;

Which CPUs you got in that system?

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Which CPUs you got in that system?

It has a pair of X5650's with the power configuration set to OS Managed rather than Max Perf..

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

5 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

It has a pair of X5650's with the power configuration set to OS Managed rather than Max Perf..

Mines set to max perf in bios and ESXi, still surprised how much my systems draw with the L5630s in it. Figure the 6 HDDs, 2 SSD and RAID card are adding to it a bit, weird seeing a lower power Xeon system using the same as a max performance X Xeon system.

Thanks gents!

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C