2 routers one cable

Juriaan

okay, guys, I need your help. I am too stupid to fix this problem. 

I have got 2 routers: main router (2.4 GHz) and the second router (can go to 5 GHz). These are connected to each other.

I have a steam link but It won't see my pc, because its connected to my main router (2.4 GHz). my pc is connected by cable so I don't know how to make it switch to the second router that has 5 GHz

anyone know how to fix this problem? 

9 minutes ago, Juriaan said:

okay, guys, I need your help. I am too stupid to fix this problem. 

I have got 2 routers: main router (2.4 GHz) and the second router (can go to 5 GHz). These are connected to each other.

I have a steam link but It won't see my pc, because its connected to my main router (2.4 GHz). my pc is connected by cable so I don't know how to make it switch to the second router that has 5 GHz

anyone know how to fix this problem? 

Typically speaking, two routers will fight with each other, I'm surprised you get anything at all.

Why do you have such an odd setup?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Typically speaking, two routers will fight with each other, I'm surprised you get anything at all.

Why do you have such an odd setup?

I have a big house so need more than one but the main router is only for connecting to the internet, not really much else that's why I didn't spend too much money on a better one that would have 5ghz. but I don't get if they would work together why doesn't it just connect with the steam link

4 minutes ago, Juriaan said:

I have a big house so need more than one but the main router is only for connecting to the internet, not really much else that's why I didn't spend too much money on a better one that would have 5ghz. but I don't get if they would work together why doesn't it just connect with the steam link

What model routers and how do you have their software connecting each other internally? Perhaps the firewall or a DMZ or Port Forwarding isn't set up correctly?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

What model routers and how do you have their software connecting each other internally? Perhaps the firewall or a DMZ or Port Forwarding isn't set up correctly?

the 5ghz one is a cisco wap131

the main router is a fritz box fon wlan 7360

but I don't know how it is connected whit what software

What I would do is one of two things.

You could remove the 2.4ghz router and only used the 5ghz.

If you are going to use both, then you need to nominate a main router. Go with the one that is faster imo.

Then on the second router you will want to DISABLE DHCP. Setup your wifi settings like you want, then instead of plugging your 1st router from its lan port to the wan port on your second router... instead connection your first router via lan port to your second router via lan port.

This will make your second router act like a switch with wifi capabilities and will resolve the connectivity issues you are having.

So it would go like this.

Modem > Wan port on main router > Lan port on main router to lan port on second router. Make sure you disable DHCP and Firewall on the second router.

10 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

What I would do is one of two things.

You could remove the 2.4ghz router and only used the 5ghz.

If you are going to use both, then you need to nominate a main router. Go with the one that is faster imo.

Then on the second router you will want to DISABLE DHCP. Setup your wifi settings like you want, then instead of plugging your 1st router from its lan port to the wan port on your second router... instead connection your first router via lan port to your second router via lan port.

This will make your second router act like a switch with wifi capabilities and will resolve the connectivity issues you are having.

So it would go like this.

Modem > Wan port on main router > Lan port on main router to lan port on second router. Make sure you disable DHCP and Firewall on the second router.

okay maybe this sounds stupid but the main router has the fiber connection. so how would the second router have the connection then?

if it was the main router

So your main router is more of a gateway than just a pure router.

It acts as the modem and router, correct?

If the First router is also your modem, then you will not be able to swap them around. However, the rest of the process will be the same.

So then it would just be   Fiber > Router 1 (gateway) > Router 1 Lan port to Router 2 Lan port.

You need to check if router 1 and router 2 has dchp activated ( only 1 can be , if not they will fight eachother)

Case: Corsair 760T  |  Psu: Evga  650w p2 | Cpu-Cooler : Noctua Nh-d15 | Cpu : 8600k  | Gpu: Gygabyte 1070 g1 | Ram: 2x8gb Gskill Trident-Z 3000mhz |  Mobo : Aorus GA-Z370 Gaming K3 | Storage : Ocz 120gb sata ssd , sandisk 480gb ssd , wd 1gb hdd | Keyboard : Corsair k95 rgb plat. | Mouse : Razer deathadder elite | Monitor: Dell s2417DG (1440p 165hz gsync) & a crappy hp 24' ips 1080p | Audio: Schiit stack + Akg k712pro + Blue yeti.

While the WAP131 is an access point, the documentation shows it has a built in DHCP server so that may be the issue. Browse into the WAP131, make sure that it is in access point mode, then find the DHCP server option and turn it off. This will make it forward everything to your main router and basically turn it into an extension antenna of the main unit.

Right now I assume DHCP is turned on, so whatever is connected to the WAP131 is essentially on a different network than the Fritz router and they can't talk to each other. You can verify this by checking what your IP address is when connected to each of the units. If the first three octets are different (e.g. 192.168.0.xxx and 192.168.1.xxx) then they each have DHCP on and you don't want that in your case, only the Fritz should have DHCP.

If you are having trouble finding the settings post up a screenshot of the webpage. Make sure to block out any identifying information like your WAN IP.