Earth Watts 380 enough for an old phenom II system?

Beowulff83
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

You can overclock both and it will use less than 380W, but I just wouldn't do it on that old, used unit.

I am trying to build a Extremely  low budget system for gaming in my sons bedroom.  Foxconn A78AX AM3 motherboard, 8gb ram, Phenom II 955 cpu, HD7850 1gb graphics card,  probably a standard hdd.  I am looking at a USED Antec Earthwatts EA-380D Green Power supply.    I will be overclocking both cpu and gpu.  I have the feeling it won't be enough for the overclock.  What say the experts, will it work?  If not any suggestions for a psu in the $20 range?

Probably wouldn't recommend a used PSU, if have a low budget to play with I recommend you look at a Corsair CX450M (gray label). 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

Looking, Phenom II 955 is 125W, and HD 7850 is 130W, that's 255W.

Overclocking that starts pushing it bit too close since EA-380D has a 12V max load of 336W

336-255=81W left… that's not much at all.

Phenom sits at 125w without overclock and radeon at around 130w , depends on implementation might be higher.

If you add ram,hdd,motherboard and various usb devices I don't think it is wise to overclock with that power supply.

In addition, these components are a bit old and if were already on a working pc all these years they might consume a bit more power due to degradation.

I will use a better power supply at around 450w and not push too much on overclocking.

You can overclock both and it will use less than 380W, but I just wouldn't do it on that old, used unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||