Missing part.

SeifSpeed

I am trying to create an adapter for an ATX PSU for it to work with a proprietary HP motherboard.

I have a female 24 pin, and the two other connectors I will take from a defective proprietary HP PSU.

The question is what is that under the electrical tape???

51gKvpNSNML.jpg

ATX-24pin-to-6pin-Motherboard-2-port-Adapter-Power-Supply-Cable-Cord-for-HP-Z220-Z230.jpeg_640x640.jpeg

Could be a resistor to prevent over current and catching fire. But I'm not an expert in these stuff so take my info as a grain of salt,

Because spending $10 is too much to just buy one?  ;-)

Under the heatshrink is a small DC to DC boost converter to convert 5V to 12V.  The HP motherboard doesn't use +5V and the lone two +12V leads on a 24-pin doesn't provide enough current by themselves.

An alternative method is to use a spare EPS12V or PCIe, in conjunction with the 24-pin, to provide the additional +12V the HP board requires.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Because spending $10 is too much to just buy one?  ;-)

Under the heatshrink is a small DC to DC boost converter to convert 5V to 12V.  The HP motherboard doesn't use +5V and the lone two +12V leads on a 24-pin doesn't provide enough current by themselves.

An alternative method is to use a spare EPS12V or PCIe, in conjunction with the 24-pin, to provide the additional +12V the HP board requires.

Thank you for the valuable information I really needed it. And the reason I am buying one is that I live in Africa, and for it to ship to me will  take time that I don't have now.