i7 6850K Temps with Corsair 115i (Troubleshooting help)

Hey all,

So recently I noticed my temperatures on my 6850k getting pretty hot at idle. As I sit here typing this, with only Chrome open and no other apps running, my temps on my 6850k package according to HWMontiorPro are 60 degrees C. This seems very high to me. Last night I took my H115i out, cleaned all the dust out of the radiator and fans, reinstalled new thermal compound, and nothing really changed (maybe 5 degrees lower). I checked the BIOS and the water pump is registering in the 1500 RPM range. I never had this problem when I first built the system (about 1.5 years ago), looking for any helpful tips or advice :)

CPU is running completely stock. No changes to clock speed or voltages. Here are the results after only a 15 minutes stress test.

Screenshot (1).png

Did you check that there is enough mounting pressure on the CPU when you remounted it?

That's an F in the profile pic

Yep, I made sure the mounting screws were all the way into the socket and then made sure the cap screws that hold the brack down were tight as well.  The mount screws have a hard stop on both sides so I went as far as I could go

Is it summer or winter where you are, what is the ambient temperature?

Is the radiator an intake or exhaust on the case, and do the graphics card(s) exhaust their heat out the back of the case or into the case?

I have had a large number of AIO coolers fail over the years. Even if the pump is running it is not a guarantee that the water is flowing properly, or that the cooler is able to efficiently conduct the heat. How quickly does the air exhausting from the radiator take to heat up after the stress test starts?

If the air exhausting from the radiator is cold, then the cooler will either need to be remounted, or replaced. If the air exhausting from the radiator is taking a long time to get warm then the cooler might need to be replaced.

The most common issue I have seen with AIO coolers is oxidation of the heat blocks creating an insulating layer between the CPU and the water. This can result in increased idle and peak thermals.

Oxidation on the heat block and radiator can be dislodged by the moving water and accumulate at restrictions in the loop and eventually block the water flow. This can further reduce the efficiency of the cooler.

A less common problem that I have seen in a couple of AIO coolers is water evaporation. While the AIO coolers are sealed loops, the water can slowly pass through the rubber tubing, this evaporation process is accelerated if CPU temperatures are kept above 60°C for extended periods of time. Generally this should not be an issue until about 3-5 years though.

It is currently summer time. Room temp is 24 degrees Celcius. The radiator is currently set to exhaust in a pull configuration. Basically, at the top of my 450D I have the two fans so they are visible outside the case and then the radiator mounted to those for ease of cleaning. 

Currently, the air does not seem to get warm at all and even when idling, the air coming out of my rear 120mm fan and the radiator feels to be the same temperature.

I should also mention when I took the cooler out, I gave the whole thing a bit of a shake and could hear water sloshing around. My guess is that some coolant evaporated?

39 minutes ago, airacepro said:

It is currently summer time. Room temp is 24 degrees Celcius. The radiator is currently set to exhaust in a pull configuration. Basically, at the top of my 450D I have the two fans so they are visible outside the case and then the radiator mounted to those for ease of cleaning. 

Currently, the air does not seem to get warm at all and even when idling, the air coming out of my rear 120mm fan and the radiator feels to be the same temperature.

I should also mention when I took the cooler out, I gave the whole thing a bit of a shake and could hear water sloshing around. My guess is that some coolant evaporated?

There will always be some sloshing, I have never seen an AIO that had completely displaced all of the air in the loop with the coolant. Does it feel/sound like it is more air or more water? If the air from the radiator isn't getting warm then the cooler may need to be replaced.

Double check that the pump RPM readback in the BIOS is actually for the pump. It might be worth installing Corsair Link if you haven't already to double check in there.

If the radiator is laying horizontally mounted at the top of the case exhausting upwards then a typical air pocket in the loop would spread out in the top of the radiator and have minimal overall effect. If air got into the pump, the pump will often be unable to displace it, giving the loop a shake with the radiator at the top can help displace an air bubble and prime the pump. This would likely only be a solution if the cooler had stopped working properly due to the air being moved into the pump when the cooler was removed for cleaning, and not likely to help if it was faulty beforehand.

If the cooler is within its warranty period it would help to contact Corsair to request an RMA if you haven't already.