AM4 CPU Cooler

Mantaray3

I'm currently building a Ryzen AMD 1300x CPU, and my plan was to use the stock cooler. On further research I've decided that I want to overclock my CPU, so the stock cooler isn't going to cut it. I've been searching for a good quality fan that's compatible with an am4 motherboard, but I havent had much luck and I don't have much experience with this. My price range is between $30-50 USD, and I'd appreciate any help you people can give me.

Also apologies if this isn't the right place to put this. >_>

Honestly, at this stage, any major brand will have AM4 compatible coolers for all there existing line ups. For the price range you have listed, the Cryorig H7 is probably about the best you will get in that price point. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

53 minutes ago, Mantaray3 said:

I want to overclock my CPU, so the stock cooler isn't going to cut it.

that's odd, because there are people overclocking their Ryzen 7 1700 to some 3.6GHz with the Wraith Stealth cooler. That's an 8 core CPU. Lower clocks, but double the core count.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Give the EKL Alpenföhn Ben Nevis Advanced a try, maybe?

A german company used to build high end CPU coolers for consumers/enthusiasts and business corporations. Sadly it seems they don't pop up often against the bigger world brands in tests out of the german regions, because they are not easy to purchase in the USA, i guess. And like many german companies they are not good in marketing over seas. xD 

I used it on the Rig of my father. it cools a 1600X quite well and is dead silent. If you run it to the maximum you hear a slow airflow but nothing else.

https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/ben-nevis-advanced

It is designed for 150 Watt.

Good point: The Advanced edition has some changes in its position backwards, one heatpipe more and bigger cooling surface as the normal one, so you have 100% RAM clearence. :D

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_3.png

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_5.png

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_6.png

They mostly use a technique called HDT – Heatpipe Direct Touch and don't use nickle plated aluminum plates. So the heatpipe can react directly to the Heatsource.

Nice to have but not as important is the "Shock Killer Pole" in the middle of the fins all down to the baseplate in the picture above to make the cooler more sturdy if you carry it or move it. Well... questionable if that's a thing. ^^''

The "problem" would be, like i said, that it could be difficult to purchase them in the USA maybe. :/

Costs about 25,- €. Around 30,-$.

But like Skiiwee29 said, every decent AM4 Cooler should be good for the 1300x. :3

PS:
This one exists also as a black RGB Edition for around 30,-€

Nice on that one is you get a dongle with three aditional RGB headers to the one the Cooler uses. So you can split the RGB header to other fans. :D 

And no i'm not working for EKL. xD
https://www.alpenfoehn.de/en/products/cpu-cooler/ben-nevis-advanced-black-rgb-en

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_RGB_00.jpg

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_RGB_02.jpg

Ben_Nevis_Advanced_RGB_08.jpg

1 hour ago, Mantaray3 said:

My price range is between $30-50 USD, and I'd appreciate any help you people can give me.

Amazon has Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B fitting to that.

It would be pretty much the biggest and best cooling power heatsink (at least per noise) without clearance issues with memory or uppermost PCI-e slot.

Have you tried oc'ing with the stock cooler first?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No, I haven't. I'm waiting on a few parts to ship to me before I finish building my PC, and I was looking into overclocking in the meantime. Everywhere I was looking was saying the stock cooler wouldn't be good enough.

@Fantasmorie

That fan looks really nice, and you had me sold on it. Except I don't want to deal with international shipping. Maybe in the future; I'll definitely keep that fan in mind.

@Skiiwee29

I was looking at that, but all the reviews were saying it didn't ship with the am4 bracket. As of 3-5 days ago they said that they did in the answer section on Amazon, but it was kind of hidden.

@EsaT

I haven't looked into that one yet, but I will tonight. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

4 minutes ago, Mantaray3 said:

Everywhere I was looking was saying the stock cooler wouldn't be good enough.

There are plenty of articles and Youtube reviewers oc'ing the 1300x with the stock cooler. I'd suggest trying it out before deciding on whether or not to replace it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I just looked at the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B, and it looks exactly what I want. I think it may be too tall though. My height allowance is 140 mm per my case.

9 minutes ago, Mantaray3 said:

No, I haven't. I'm waiting on a few parts to ship to me before I finish building my PC, and I was looking into overclocking in the meantime. Everywhere I was looking was saying the stock cooler wouldn't be good enough.

@Fantasmorie

That fan looks really nice, and you had me sold on it. Except I don't want to deal with international shipping. Maybe in the future; I'll definitely keep that fan in mind.

@Skiiwee29

I was looking at that, but all the reviews were saying it didn't ship with the am4 bracket. As of 3-5 days ago they said that they did in the answer section on Amazon, but it was kind of hidden.

@EsaT

I haven't looked into that one yet, but I will tonight. That sounds like what I'm looking for.

Its been over a year, all major coolers are updated to support AM4 socket and mounting. If for some freak reason it doesnt, you can request one from Cryorig free of charge. I did this for my Cryorig R1 Ultimate and had it within a week.

http://www.cryorig.com/getam4.php

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

i was hitting 3.9 on my 1700 only using the stock cooler. it wasnt the coolest cpu in the world but it was well within safe temps.

But the 1300x is $130 right? if you were gonna spend another $50 on a cooler why not just straight up buy a 2600 for the same amount of money?

I got the 1300x for 120, and the Ryzen 5 2600 is 190, which is a $70 difference. You do make a valid point, but for what im using it for the 1300x should be fine. Im interested in overclocking, the performance increase doesn't matter too much for me. The one im looking at right now is a $30 fan, so overall it would save money too.