Direct Die Cooling

With the recent Intel trends, I would really like to see direct die cooling make a comeback, there's just something about seeing a bare CPU, granted you won't see it when the cooler is on anyway, it's just an aesthetic thing I like.

Now, there's the risk of cracking the die with uneven pressure like GN pointed out, but I think that could be fixed with pads to take some of the pressure off the die, like you'd see in old Athlon CPUs

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

I don't think you understand how horrible pads are for heat transfer.

It would literally be 10x worse than a regular non-delidded CPU using toothpaste.

And direct die cooling is already being done by plenty of people, there is no "comeback".

There are special brackets to prevent damage from pressure.

There are no 1151 brackets though because the socket is taller than the die and few people are willing to shave off part of their motherboard to make it work.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand how horrible pads are for heat transfer.

It would literally be 10x worse than a regular non-delidded CPU using toothpaste.

[...]

I think @xFluing was talking about placing pads on the pcb in order to transfer the pressure, so they like wouldn't and probably shouldn't be placed on the die.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

I think he was talking about pads in order to transfer the pressure, so they like wouldn't and probably shouldn't be placed on the die.

Exactly

@Enderman these are the pads I'm talking about

image.png

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk | Corsair LPX 16GB 3000MHz CL16 | XFX RX 6700 XT QICK 319 | Corsair TX 550M 80+ Gold PSU

3 minutes ago, xFluing said:

[...]

image.png

That's what I thought of... xD

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace