Rx580 or Gtx1060

Go to solution Solved by Taf the Ghost,
22 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Personally I would never choose an AMD GPU purely for its power consumption, but that's just me. Also explains why I have a GTX 1060.

At stock and below the absolute top SKUs, the power usage is so close your motherboard & hard drives makes more difference.

20 minutes ago, TECH J said:

As i have already said, I don't personally care about the power consumption so..can you tell me your opinion about the performance of these 2?

Benchmarking tends to be done at the top settings. While an acceptable way to test comparative performance, it's not really consumer advice to look at Ultra setting benchmarks. 

It all depends on the game engine. Especially if it's a Unreal Engine game or uses GameWorks. (GameWorks actually hurts both companies, just AMD worse.) The GPUs are functionally the same performance, it just matters which chunk of testing you look at.

If the 580 is cheaper, get it. If the 1060 is cheaper, get that. RX 580 + FreeSync monitor is the superior experience. 

You might also be able to UnderVolt/OverClock your 580. Most will do it, some won't.

I've bought the xfx rx580 8gb gts xxx edition.Last year,almost all the benchmarks were showing that the 580 had actually better at performance than the 1060.BUT now, it's the opposite(with some exceptions as always)!!What did actually change,and should i send back the 580 for a 1060?I want a futureproof card(as much as i can for the money,max 320$)Thanks!!

P.s,i dont care about freesync,multimple gpus and power consumption.Also,in my country,the 1060 is about 35$ more expensive.Also,i can still send back for free my gpu.

Can you give an example?

There are some games where the GTX 1060 is better but when its it better it is barely better. It makes absolutely no sense to go from RX 580 to GTX 1060 and vice versa.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Can you give an example?

There are some games where the GTX 1060 is better but when its it better it is barely better. It makes absolutely no sense to go from RX 580 to GTX 1060 and vice versa.

Look,the majority of games tend to run a little bit faster on the 1060(most recent benchmarks)but i still don't know what to do

2 minutes ago, TECH J said:

Look,the majority of games tend to run a little bit faster on the 1060(most recent benchmarks)but i still don't know what to do

Just keep your RX 580.

1 minute ago, MiNy said:

Personally I would never choose an AMD GPU purely for its power consumption, but that's just me. Also explains why I have a GTX 1060.

As i have already said, I don't personally care about the power consumption so..can you tell me your opinion about the performance of these 2?

3 minutes ago, TECH J said:

Oh my mistake, I didn't read that part. I can't really comment on the perfomance of the RX 580, but I'm going to assume the difference is minimal. The RX 580 has models with more VRAM than that of the GTX 1060 it seems though.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

22 minutes ago, MiNy said:

At stock and below the absolute top SKUs, the power usage is so close your motherboard & hard drives makes more difference.

20 minutes ago, TECH J said:

Benchmarking tends to be done at the top settings. While an acceptable way to test comparative performance, it's not really consumer advice to look at Ultra setting benchmarks. 

It all depends on the game engine. Especially if it's a Unreal Engine game or uses GameWorks. (GameWorks actually hurts both companies, just AMD worse.) The GPUs are functionally the same performance, it just matters which chunk of testing you look at.

If the 580 is cheaper, get it. If the 1060 is cheaper, get that. RX 580 + FreeSync monitor is the superior experience. 

You might also be able to UnderVolt/OverClock your 580. Most will do it, some won't.

If it's specifically about future proofing (Which really doesn't work the same way in GPUs), AMD plays better with Vulkan & DX12, which is where it's all going.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

RX 580 + FreeSync monitor is the superior experience.

Ditto. 1060 and 580 are so neck in neck that freesync is the tie breaker. plus, all the benchmarks are artificial. Nvidia just tweaks the heck outta their drivers to achieve higher FPS. In terms of hardware, they are very similar in raw performance.

CPU: 8600k @4.9  (1.39v) |  Cooler: NH-U14s | Mobo: Asus Strix z390i | Ram: Gskill DDR4 Trident Z 3600 8GB x 2 16-16-16-36

GPU: Gigabyte G1 1080 GTX | Case: Prodigy ITX | Fans: NH-A14, (exhaust) NH-A12, (intake) NH-A20 (intake)

Samsung EVO 1tb | Samsung EVO 512gb x2 | Intel ssd 128gb

PSU: Powerstation 500W

1 minute ago, Srnewbee said:

Ditto. 1060 and 580 are so neck in neck that freesync is the tie breaker. plus, all the benchmarks are artificial. Nvidia just tweaks the heck outta their drivers to achieve higher FPS. In terms of hardware, they are very similar in raw performance.

The GPU companies tweak their MSRP & performance to match each others segments. AMD + FreeSync is really easy to recommend, if you can even buy an AMD GPU. That's been a problem for a year.

I also just noticed some RX Vega 56 are around 480USD.  It's really easy to recommend a Vega 56 + 144 Hz FreeSync monitor. (Though G-Sync monitors are finally starting to come down in price.)

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Hilariously, look just what TechSpot put out.

How can i know if this vid is actually legit?

21 minutes ago, TECH J said:

How can i know if this vid is actually legit?

Steve does good work. At ultra settings, they're functionally the same. One or two games could use patches on bother sides, but they provide the same performance.