No post.

Prokart2000

Hi guys

So I was just using my PC and it hard locked with a blackscreen while watching a yt vid. I tried the reset button to no avail so I had to hard reboot it. Upon restart I get a no signal from the monitor.

I have tried putting the dvi into the motherboard too with the same result which leads me to believe that it's either that cpu, memory or motherboard. Do you have any tips on how to find the culprit?

Thanks again

Pro

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Specs? How long have you had the system? What monitor are you using?

7 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Specs? How long have you had the system? What monitor are you using?

Specs are in my signature, I have the Acer g24 144hz 1080p (can't quite remember the model name), I've had the system for a couple of years with the Skylake upgrade and had no issues so far.

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Ah, I'm not sure if most people don't do it but there's an option to turn off signatures. I find most of them are too disruptive to the flow of a forum. But from what's listed on your profile there's nothing out of the ordinary that screams IM SKETCHY. When you tried plugging your monitor in the DVI port on the motherboard, did you take out your graphics card?

6 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Ah, I'm not sure if most people don't do it but there's an option to turn off signatures. I find most of them are too disruptive to the flow of a forum. But from what's listed on your profile there's nothing out of the ordinary that screams IM SKETCHY. When you tried plugging your monitor in the DVI port on the motherboard, did you take out your graphics card?

If im honest I did not as I was trying to be quiet as everyone else was in bed. What im thinking to try tomorrow is, taking out the gpu and trying with integrated graphics. Failing that I will try one ram stick at a time. If that don't work then it has to be the Mobo or cpu but im not sure how to tell.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

If im honest I did not as I was trying to be quiet as everyone else was in bed. What im thinking to try tomorrow is, taking out the gpu and trying with integrated graphics. Failing that I will try one ram stick at a time. If that don't work then it has to be the Mobo or cpu but im not sure how to tell.

Good Plan.

I assume your motherboard doesn't have debug LEDs, but you could try finding a motherboard speaker (or maybe your mobo came with one) and plugging it in to hear the beep codes.

also, check the PSU first. I don't think it's dead, but make sure all connections are firmly secured, and if you have a modular PSU, make sure they're secured on BOTH ENDS. this issue caused me lots of pain about a year ago when I thought my CPU was dying, but in reality the CPU EPS 8-pin was loose on the PSU side of a modular cable.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Good Plan.

I assume your motherboard doesn't have debug LEDs, but you could try finding a motherboard speaker (or maybe your mobo came with one) and plugging it in to hear the beep codes.

also, check the PSU first. I don't think it's dead, but make sure all connections are firmly secured, and if you have a modular PSU, make sure they're secured on BOTH ENDS. this issue caused me lots of pain about a year ago when I thought my CPU was dying, but in reality the CPU EPS 8-pin was loose on the PSU side of a modular cable.

Thanks for the tips, I can't really do much now so I will report back with my findings tomorrow ?

Spoiler

Are there lights on any of the components, if so which will light up if any when you boot, it is not uncommon for MSI to put debugging leds on there mobos that are a great indicator for what the problem is. I would try booting without the gpu or trying different ram slots on your board. trying a different cable to the monitor will likely not help but its an easy thing to try and it can't hurt. If none of your fans spin up and no lights turn on than it is for sure either the psu or motherboard as even if the cpu is dead the lights will turn on. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

6 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

Are there lights on any of the components, if so which will light up if any when you boot, it is not uncommon for MSI to put debugging leds on there mobos that are a great indicator for what the problem is. I would try booting without the gpu or trying different ram slots on your board. trying a different cable to the monitor will likely not help but its an easy thing to try and it can't hurt. If none of your fans spin up and no lights turn on than it is for sure either the psu or motherboard as even if the cpu is dead the lights will turn on. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

I have training, so i will try when im back and will get back to you,the lights on everything do come on but there is just no post.

Spoiler

10 hours ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

So i removed my graphics card and im back online with integrated graphics. Do you think its salvageable or is it a goner? If so its been a great 5 years with the card:D.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Prokart2000 said:

So i removed my graphics card and im back online with integrated graphics. Do you think its salvageable or is it a goner? If so its been a great 5 years with the card:D.

If your board has it try different pci slots, but keep in mind that usually if there are three the lowest of the three will typically only have 8x bandwidth even on a full size slot, this can also be true of the second slot sometimes it just depends on the board. It is pretty unlikely that the board slot is dead but worth a try. If the card is dead the good news is that you can find 500 series amd cards at their msrp now and nvidia has all there cards in stock on there website with the exception of the 1080ti.

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 hour ago, AdvancedMicroDisapointment said:

If your board has it try different pci slots, but keep in mind that usually if there are three the lowest of the three will typically only have 8x bandwidth even on a full size slot, this can also be true of the second slot sometimes it just depends on the board. It is pretty unlikely that the board slot is dead but worth a try. If the card is dead the good news is that you can find 500 series amd cards at their msrp now and nvidia has all there cards in stock on there website with the exception of the 1080ti.

ive found some decent deals but i feel like there are new cards right around the corner so im not sure.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Prokart2000 said:

ive found some decent deals but i feel like there are new cards right around the corner so im not sure.

amd will probably not have new cards for a hot minute but nvidia should have new cards soonish considering how long the 10 series has been out but they have been holding back since the crypto craze kept the demand high

Main Rig (Pulsar)