Iphone 6s email doesn't alert in lock mode.

My grandfather has an iPhone 6s. And his email will not alert him via vibration or sound when he receives a new email. Using yahoo's mail app or the stock ios app, neither work. We make sure mutes off and everything is synced correctly, wifi or not, sound is on and whatever else. I'm not a ios user but I'm still the tech guy for the family. I don't have anything to answer. We took it to AT&T to see if maybe I'd forgotten something, but after 2 hours of sitting there all I got was "send it back to Apple".  So the scenario. His phone is locked. Or just sitting on the desk/in his pocket. Unless he opened the app, it will not alert him to new emails. And we have it set to auto check evry few minutes. 

• 1 year later...

Hi Gutz! I AM SO SORRY I NEVER REPLIED!!!!! Thats all on me. Thank you so much for the help. This did not end up working but i deeply appreciate the help! I work oilfield and quickly forgot to reply to you!

14 hours ago, Mout1957 said:

Did you figure it out anyway?

Well it's been so long and alota happened. Me and my grandfather work oilfield, and the one day he took his phone out of his case, he dropped it and broke the screen. So he "upgraded" this year to an iPhone 8.    So idk if it's different in terms of iPhone 8 os vs 6 os versions. But sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.